The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

iTunes & iPhones: updating & backing up without losing anything

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rapunzel
  • Latest reply from hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 3665 times

rapunzel

My daughter lost stuff two years ago when she updated iTunes on the computer, so I was worried and have never synced/updated/backed-up my almost two year old iPhone 4. Needless to say, I have issues with my phone. I have 1600 pictures, a reasonable number of apps (about 30), issues with my mail (it determines at will whether I have the correct password or not). It has been crashing relatively frequently with either a lovely blue screen (which I hear is called the Screen of Death - nice) or a psychedelic crazy frazzle-dazzle that either snaps the phone off in a blink or makes me force it off (which I learned how to do on some How-To site). I know this can't go on forever and realize that I am asking my iPhone to run updated programs on an outdated system. Questions: 1) On my computer, is updating iTunes the same as downloading iTunes? I think so, but wonder if it is replacing (and thus deleting storage) it. 2) After I update iTunes on my computer, I need to create a back-up for my phone. Apple does a good walk-through on doing that, but am I still at risk of losing my pics and contacts, etc.? (hahahaha. It's a wonder I ever leave my house, I know.) 3) After I update iTunes on the computer and create a back-up from my phone to the computer, then I can sync my phone (which will update it, yes?) and then I can create a Cloud onto which my future back-ups will go, yes? And then I shall be able to safely update and back-up my phone and my crashing issues will be resolved. So, any bites on this one? If it matters, my computer has 32 bits and is Windows 7 (I know this because I had to look up how to look this up - hey, I'm trying here!) Thanks, you geniuses!

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

Hi, welcome. Have you tried our very own how-to on this?
http://www.howtogeek.com/10429.....sing-data/

1)Updating iTunes will not replace/remove any of the synced content (I guess)
2) You can create a backup to be safe, but... I'm not sure (never been in such a situation!)
3) I think you're making things complex. Just sync it, and everything will be fine (I'd say again, I'm not sure, but that's the way it's supposed to work). have a look at the post for more info.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!