How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

IT Company have locked computer

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by BenDen28
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 428 times

BenDen28

Can Anyone Help!

My father in law has given me a windows 7 computer from his company. He has changed IT company and they held all of the passwords. is there any way i can get around this? I have a log in for the computer but I am unable to download filess or programmes. He has no reboot disc, not sure what to do now?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

BenDen28 hi. Do a clean install of W7 (you should do anyway as a matter of course)
Get the same version as you have on the comp, from here,
http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/
Burn the iso to DVD with this,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....h-imgburn/
Burn at 4x speed.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

Also be sure to download all the drivers for that PC and burn them to a disk before you clean install the new OS on it.
EDIT: Since you can't use it to download anything, then you'll have to download the drivers and OS using a different PC.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

BenDen28

Cheers guys, is it as easy as putting the disc in and restarting? I have looked in the setup screen and everything is locked? Sorry about the questions.

Ben

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt

Sounds like your father in law gave you a boat anchor.

Jim :)

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

The IT company would have to unlock and Remove BIOS passwords as well as any other passwords created for full use and re-use.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

GS, reread the OP. It is not a BIOS issue.

Posted 1 year ago

BenDen28

Thanks for your help guys. I will give it a go. If not I'm looking for a new anchor Jim!

Cheers.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

BenDen28, If you have some important files saved on the computer, be sure you back them up as the procedure will completely erase the partition/drive. Also, go to Device Manager and take note of the manufacturer of the devices present (video, sound, card reader (if present), etc. This may come in handy whenever Windows 7 does not have drivers for the device and mark it as unknown.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Make sure you locate and write down your Windows product key beforehand!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.