The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Issues installing applications on Windows 7 Home x64

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by chookus
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2594 times

chookus

VERY new to Windows 7, I have not read up on any of it so this could be a VERY simple problem that I am just over looking..

First:

New HP laptop pre-installed with Windows 7 Home 64bit
Logged in as user with Administrative privs
Firewall is totally off, and disabled through services
No other security software is installed.

I am trying to install some very basic tools that I have installed on a Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit, and my windows xp box on the same network.

1. LogMeIn - When I try to add a computer that then prompts for the download of the setup application via IE8 but then in the "animated windows is connecting to the server to install an application" box it says connection can not be established.
1b. I try to download the MSI directly from my webserver, right click properties to UNBLOCK, go through MOST of the setup wizard, and it tells me I have a proxy and I need to set LMI to use it. I DONT HAVE ANY PROXY..
2. AVG Free 9, installed but cannot connect to server for updates.
3. Firefox, installed only after downloading the setup on a different system and transferring via USB drive because of the same problem in #1... Installs... but then trying to go to any website is as if I do not have an internet connection.

These all seem to be connected in some way and I just cant figure it out, it has to be something simple I am missing..

Anyone have any idea?

Thank you,
T

Posted 5 years ago

Santo

Try to login from "Safe Mode with Networking" and check if it works.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

In a command prompt, enter IPCONFIG /ALL and post results.

I assume you are using a router to connect to the other systems and the Internet?

Is the firewall you turned off the Windows Firewall?

Irv S..

Posted 5 years ago

chookus

Yes, IE works perfectly, I can ping anything that allows it, I can SSH and pretty much everything else. The Firewall is not only off but disabled in system services. Thank you for your reply.

Posted 5 years ago

chookus

Santo: Yeah I will give that a shot when I get back to my office and see if I get any different result. I may also add that I setup a second Administrator profile, again making sure the firewall is off an disabled and still get the same results. Thank you for your comments.

Posted 5 years ago

abookirn

See this link for a nice play-by-play that may help:

http://www.vollersolutions.com.....64bit.aspx

Posted 5 years ago

chookus

Santo: Yes Firefox works in safe mode, I assume Logmein installer would work as well though the windows installer service wont work in safe mode.

What could this possibly mean? Thank you much for your help

Posted 5 years ago

at0mic

uninstall AVG and reconfigure. after you get it set up, which you will without AVG, install avira or mse.

Posted 5 years ago

chookus

After a bit of poking around the default Norton Internet Security Trial that came with the laptop was not fully de-installed when I de-installed it from Programs, though it was not on the Program List, it still had its service running! I knew it was something stupid, thanks for the replies!

Posted 5 years ago

LH

chookus. You should always use this for Norton,
http://service1.symantec.com/S.....3108162039

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.