The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

ISO

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by elaikenn628
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 738 times

elaikenn628

I am new to computing and I want to do a clean install of Windows8, my laptop has windows 7 on my Toshiba Laptop, the only disk that came with the laptop was a 'Product recovery disk'. how do I find the ISO file to copy from that disk.

Posted 2 years ago

RRRoman

elaikenn628

Do I have to copy the whole recovery disk?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

The recovery disk is for W7, not for installing 8.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual

• "I want to do a clean install of Windows8"
- have a look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....-windows-8

• "the only disk that came with the laptop was a 'Product recovery disk'"
- A recovery disc is a general term for media containing a backup of the original factory condition or a favored condition of a computer as configured by an original equipment manufacturer ... these recovery discs are commonly shipped with most computers to allow the user to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and pre-loaded software as it was when it was shipped.

hope that clears up what that recovery disc is for and what you might need it for in the future. as for the upgrade, check out that link and it will break down the steps / options you can take.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

vistual, sometimes it depends on the mfg. I have seen recovery disks with only system drivers. The actual OEM system is an image on the hidden partition.

Posted 2 years ago

vistual

hey GX, long time no see man! hope all is good with you and yours!
and yes mine is just as you described.
i only tried to dispel OP's idea that he can use that disc for upgrading to 8. just for the sake of keepng it simple but yes i gotya.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Please stop chatting on an unsolved thread. Do it on OT.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

If you replace your Windows 7 with Windows 8, I suggest you first make an image of your current Windows 7 installation - as a fallback in case you do not like Windows 8 or you have other problems with it.

If you need guidance for imaging, post back.

Posted 2 years ago

elaikenn628

I have had to use the recovery disk once before and it it put everything back to as I bought it. but I had my personal files on a disk.

It would help please.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Here is a tutorial that will aquaint you with imaging. It's a free program and it is easy.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

@LH, a Christmas wish. If you put the PM back in we wouldn't have to chat on OT

Posted 2 years ago

whs

+1, that would be useful. But I think they don't want the inmates to talk to each other (behind their back - as they say).

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Tsk, tsk, gentlemen this thread is still open on the subject of ISO's

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.