SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Is windows 8 is really necessary for ordinary desktop computers..?

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rudra
  • Latest reply from rudra
  • Topic Viewed 821 times

rudra

I have a doubt. Windows 8 is really necessary for ordinary desktop computers..? As of now windows 7 is working fine.

Posted 1 year ago

anndtman

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

X2 on that.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I would say no. I think of all the members here who have tried it, 50% love, 50% hate. I have not even graduated to 7 yet. Still on Vista. Love it.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

I have win 8 on a craptop & i find that even with all its glam.............. i migrate to desktop area & stay there yill i shut it . so for me all that bs is a bpia for me !

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Is it necessary now? No. Will it prove useful a few years down the road? Possibly (think integration of a tablet with your desktop). Should you pay extra to downgrade to Win7 from Win8? It's not that annoying, plus there are a raft of freebies to make you boot right to the desktop.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If your young then Win8 might be something to start looking at unless you have a smartphone . In the future everything will be run off your smartphone or tablet but the tablet will be much smaller. I don't worry about it since I won't be around for the transition.
M.S. had to compete with Apple so wala Windows8 was born.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Unless a tablet can link up to one huge or 2 medium sized monitors, I don't see myself working on tablets alone. Won't happen for a long time. And gaming, tablets won't be able to run the high-end games for years, if ever. The evolution of graphics cards does not support the arrival of peak performance tablet computing.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Think AHEAD... at some point W7 will NOT be supported. Yeah, Windows X might be out by they, but W8 is the best choice today. All reports seems to 'think' W8 is more secure that W7 is now as well.

Some links :

http://www.computerweekly.com/.....measure-up
https://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=13848
http://www.techrepublic.com/bl.....tures/7900

You may not use/need them all, but overall it is better than older releases.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I run both O/Ses but prefer to run Windows 7 as Administrator so I don't have all that logging in and switching users, etc.. etc..

To me, it appears all Windows 8 tablets are good for is self entertainment.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have used both Windows 8 and Windows 7 and I always go to the desktop on Windows 8. The tiled interface will only really work on a touchscreen device.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

The Live Tiles DO WORK on a desktop too, just the question is IF you have a full scale system (not the RT) why do you need them? For instance, many 'duplicate' what you can get on any other tablet, like an iPad. USA Today is the same, but if you have a full system with a browser, you get the same info from their site. Skype and TeamViewer are Live Tile apps but you also have them in a full system.

Real value (if any) is the screen updating on ones that 'change', like weather, news, sports, financial, etc.

Do you need them? Not if you don't use the Start Screen. Most desktop users will be on the desktop and stay there. However my wife likes to go back to the Start Screen when she's not using the computer and with a glance see the live tile updates.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Windows 8 book authors give their opinions about Windows 8.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mic.....8;page0,2=

Posted 1 year ago

rudra

Thank you all posting your views.... :-)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!