How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Is this reversible??

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by scorpion99
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 366 times

scorpion99

Hi all,
In the following link , HTG provides the steps to delete a service.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....sta-or-xp/
Is there a way to restore the deleted service? Is there a way to do this other then trying System Restore?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Noting from the source;

'Important Note: Once you delete a service, it’s gone, and it’s going to be a pain to add it back. Use with caution.'

'Note: You should think long and hard before deleting a service, because it’s very difficult to get them back once they are gone.'

I think system restore is the first port of call for obvious reasons

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Did you happen to notice paragraph two...

Important Note: Once you delete a service, it’s gone, and it’s going to be a pain to add it back. Use with caution.

Or the final line...

Note: You should think long and hard before deleting a service, because it’s very difficult to get them back once they are gone.

The easiest way would be to restore your system from the image you must have taken before messing with a critical element, or doing a system reload from scratch.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Wouldn't it be better just to disable the service instead!!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

As gedstar suggested, disabling a service at least gives you the opportunity to re-enable, to delete is just pure 'unthinking' for sure.

Messing with this type of operation which makes major changes to the registry is not recommended at any time.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Always backup your registry before you make any changes at all, to your system.
I currently use this,
http://www.tweaking.com/conten.....ackup.html
It is a bit slower than some of the others, but I think is very good.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

You may get it back by running SFC /SCANNOW or with a Repair/Install - if it was a system service. A service from an installed program will require a reinstall of that program.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

Regedit, Normaly you see the services in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
Try to see if there is still a copy of the key to the service you deleted under HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet00*\services
If so, copy the key to the CurrentControlSet
If not try and load the backup reg hive under C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\
If the service was a .dll you can try the regsrv32.exe command.

What service got deleted?
Good Luck.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

Actually , It is an Oracle service , I installed twice and I had to remove one of them , so I removed the second by mistake. Uninstalling and reinstalling the software fixed the issue. Thanks guys and wish u a happy new year.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.