• Started 5 years ago by techgranny
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1599 times

techgranny

http://video.google.com/videos.....;ct=title#

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

No.
It is theft of signal though hard to police.

Those Nederlanders !

For instance,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_.....960304.stm
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/14901151.html
http://www.theinternetpatrol.c.....-awakening

So, lockdown your router. It's RFID signal theft that's potentially more dangerous.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Still don't understand. The only reason I ask is I need an out-of-state wireless connection every six or seven weeks. I can afford the laptop, it's the monthly wifi connection that is outrageous. I'm with att and the wireless connection card is way out of my budget.

Will I get in trouble if I download one of those free wifi radars? (Oma likes everything above board:)

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066

Like those news stories linked to above say, weather using someone elses wireless connection is illegal or not is still under debate.
I do have a couple other reasons to not do it though:
1. More people are learning about securing their wireless networks so you can't count on an unsecured one being available.
2. Any normal unencyripted traffic like HTTP can be seen by the wireless access point owner. With encyripted traffic like HTTPS the owner couldn't see the pages or information you enter into them, they can track which HTTPS web sites you visited.

Most hotels offer free wireless internet now and if you stay with friends you could probably use their connection.
Where are you staying out-of-state that you can't get a connection from a hotel or friends?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

techgranny,

These type augments remind of the old Citizens Band Radio License Scheme which they tried to enforce.
That lasted for all of a year before the enforcement was deemed impossible.
This to shall pass.
As Scott indicated, RFID is going to be the large, large, issue which will require all governments to co-operate to prevent horrible abuse upon everyone.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Hardly under debate, it's the law. It's theft of service and illegal.
Will Oma get caught and have to bake brownies for the general population of Cellblock C? Probably not.

How is the weather, whether?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Oma,

it's not illegal to download the software, just to use it to 'steal' a non gratis signal. When traveling, just stick to the designated free spots. And remember, someone could have an open connection to steal *your* info.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Ok guys, I'm not about to do anything unethical. So off to plan B.

jd, I have to stay in Lafayette, LA. My ISP will cover me for free at McDonalds and Starbucks. I'm staying in hotels and can't afford the ones that provide free wifi (and they use boingo?) Also, I have nothing to steal. I just need to check my email and surf the web; all innocent stuff. Is there some kind of pay-as-you-go wifi service; you know like a prepaid phone card. I only need this service every six or seven weeks.

Scott, give jd a grammar break will ya:)

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I prefer wethers anyway.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Either I missed something or you prefer castrated male sheep:D

Posted 5 years ago

LH

As in "What's your wether like today"?
"Lookin' very tasty, thankyou".
Yes Oma, that's it :)

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

LOL LOL!

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

hmmm.... well this is hard to debate because you can do this with out the tool very easily but the tool just makes it easier. also from what i have seen is that most people have now set their connections to being encrypted so you still wouldn't be able to get in to them any ways at least not using that tool. so i'm not really sure on this one? sure as scott said that it is illegal but if you connect to the free ones that are in most places like coffee shops and such you should be fine using the tool.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Thanks Jack, I figured as much. I just can't hang out in coffee shops alone in strange places far away from home:( I thought the ATT laptop connect card would be included in my DSL subscription, but it's not. Oh well <sigh>

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

getting wifi for free is like someone who didn't know they dropped money and didn't know you picked it up ;)
on my notebook i pick up between 3 and 8 signals. i've been on 6 of them. people with linksys should remember one thing:

CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

0z,
I did as you suggested.
Changed mine from "admin" to "password" which is the same one I use for everything.
That way, I'll never forget it - Thanks.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:) :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

haha when i was doing some of the missions on hackthissite that was one of the passwords lol :) it was a logic one though so it wasn't even really hacking but it still took a bit to understand it haha

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@jack,
I once used high security complicated passwords like "hp", "dell", "me" "ms" but I kept forgetting them so found that high security word like "password" was easy to remember in all situations just like I use reverse mouse movement. :) :) :)
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya those get get me some times i usually just stick with the real simple ones like 1, or maybe 2 they seem to be really hard to crack

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@jack,
Yes; I spent a year cracking "0". Whewwww, thought I'd never get it.
(LMAO) (LMAO)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.