SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

is there a way to dual boot fedora and windows 7?

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by mojorisin7178
  • Latest reply from nosparks
  • Topic Viewed 835 times

mojorisin7178

Hi I have a dell pc with 4 meg ram and intel core 2 duo. Right now I have win 7 and ubuntu setup. But I really do not like ubuntu. I recently tried fedora and I liked it much better. So is there a way to do the same thing as my setup now but with fedora instead. Also i see there are a lot of different distros of linux besides the two. Do you guys recommend me trying any others before I settle for fedora? I am open to new stuff. I mostly use the computer to download files for my android phone. And to flash things to it. That is why i need windows because somethings just arent made for linux. I also watch movies and listen to music but that is about it. No major stuff like writing programs or anything. So thank you all for any input you can give me.

Edit: I see that it can be dual booted my guess is i will have the option to do so when I install it. But I have another question there is a few different versionsFedora 17 KDE Spin, Fedora 17 LXDE Spin, Fedora 17 Xfce Spin. What is the difference. It looks like the first one and last one are more for spcifice monitors maybe or something. The middle one looks like it is a reduces version made to run on older systems is that one okay to use for what I got?

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

Hello mojorisin7178

If you are wanting to see what other Linux distros there are check out distrowatch.com.
There are currently over 300 active distros, lots of them seem to be just individuals' preferences with the major distros.

Download the live ISO of different distros and use the Universal USB Installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ to create a bootable usb versions you can try out and get a feel for before deciding which to install for dual boot.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.