SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Is there a log that shows what changes have been done since last time?

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by very452001
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 404 times

very452001

I share my laptop with my relatives as the other laptop is sent off being repaired. Theres kids in the family that like to play around with the laptop not knowing what they downloaded or what software setting they have changed? My laptop is personal and like my stuff on my laptop to be as it is. The stupid thing I did is I forgot to create a guest account so all the users that had shared my laptop had admin rights like I do.

I received my laptop back today and straight away I notice alot of junk on the desktop, files been moved around, settings been changed and god knows what else has been changed?

So I like to know is there a log I can view that shows me what programs have been installed, what settings have been changed in the software (operating system, programs etc), what files has been downloaded and what personal files have been created like pics, docs etc. since the last time time i borrowed them my laptop?

Kinda like a system restore where the computer knows whats been changed and restores it to the restore point.

Thanks,

Posted 1 year ago

whs

The Windows logs in Event Viewer can give you some of that info. But, of course, when they moved your files around, that is not being logged. You should have made an image before you let the brats handle it.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

You might try this. I myself have not tried it (also free) http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/c....._view.html

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

ok what is the best program/software/tool/app for this?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Firstly, try the one ronniesonora linked to.
Personally I do it manually, using FreeCommander,
http://www.freecommander.com/
Once you get it set up, you can absolutely wizz round your system, and see what has recently been changed.

Posted 1 year ago

very452001

freecommander is just a file manager program or is it log view program?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

It's a file manager program, goes way beyond Windows Explorer. But as I said, I do it manually, not logs.
In fact I run my whole systems from it.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I don't think so outright, but if you have a 3rd party uninstaller, like Revo Uninstalled you can sort the installs by date. LH uses an Explorer replacement, FileCommander, and I use Explorer++. There are other options for Windows Explorer replacements that are good (or I should say better than Windows Explorer) that have different features, depending on what you wish to do, such as viewers in them for pictures/files, multiple tabs, and 'utilities' that vary by product.

However, for your question, unless you were using something like Revo which has HUNTER mode and you can RMB on the desktop icon and it will uninstall it, you might need to dig and look at timestamps in various folders on your computer to detect changes. Some uninstall programs will also run a 'watcher' and log installs and there are even programs that track registry changes, but none do this AFTER the fact.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.