The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Is it really necessary?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from tech27
  • Topic Viewed 380 times

tech27

I just bought a netbook, an ASUS K43SJ and I made a clean installation of W7 Pro 32-bit because I don't like how they setup this machine. But I am wondering if should I really install the "Utilities and Others driver"? link: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_.....ownload_29
because I only installed the common drivers like the Audio, Video, Network(LAN/Wifi), Chipset, USB, etc. So that is my question. I hope you can give me insights regarding this matter. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

I would check the Device manager and make sure all the devices are installed correctly there. A lot of the other stuff would be optional I would imagine, once you are happy that everything is working as it should be, I can't see the need to install everything.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

If everything appears to work to your satisfaction then I would not proceed further.
Most drivers would be installed with Windows.
'Utilities' would be an Asus bloat that is not required anyway.

With my Toshiba, I reinstalled from a win 7 .iso and windows loaded nearly all the drivers required. I did install the chipset only. Runs fine.

No bloat!

This is the case with most OEM machines BTW.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

tech27

@gedstar Yeah device manager gives no yellow marks. All are working well and fine.

@vistamike so those utilities like "battery saver/power saving, rapid technology and Fast boot, etc" is not much needed or not to be installed? But also, how about the BIOS update, do I really need to update my BIOS, because on the download section of the driver, it shows a newer version which is "BIOS 317 Firmware change ( 2012.07.11)" while currently my BIOS version is "BIOS 309 - Update microcode for new CPU (2011.09.22)" Though my current BIOS is working fine. Sorry I'm just curious if I should update my system to the newer BIOS version or not?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

If all is fine, as you say then I would not bother.
I also would hang re bios update for the moment because fixing something that is not broke can invoke later problems.
Windows handles power control very well, fast boot I have never used so can't comment on that one, I have always discluded that option.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

I have a HP Laptop that I rebuilt myself and only installed the drivers that I needed, e.g. audio, chipset etc, there is a lot of optional software for the laptop that I didn't care to install and haven't noticed any problems, the laptop is running fine without the additional stuff. There's no harm to upgrade the BIOS once you are happy enough to do so. Just make sure to follow the manufactures instructions carefully.

Posted 1 year ago

tech27

Yeah thanks for your informative feedback. At the moment the BIOS functions well and I haven't encounter any problem yet. Configuring the BIOS like the bios sequence and basic operation are okay. I would agree with Mike, because I may break something by updating my BIOS because I haven't tried it before. Thanks everyone!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.