The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Is it okay to disable Java

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by DebbieAG
  • Latest reply from DebbieAG
  • Topic Viewed 886 times

DebbieAG

Homeland Security just came out with you should disable Java due to virus and takeover problems.
1 is this really true
2 is it necessary
3 if so how do I do this in Windows Vista. I can't get my control panel for Java to open
Thanks for the imput!

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@DebbieAG, Can you please post the homeland link to which you are referring.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

@warlock:

Here's one from ZDNet.

@Debbie:

Months ago, I removed Java from my desktop. I also left it out of my Chrome browser (meaning no Java extension or plug in). Thus far, I haven't noticed its absence at all.

Don't hold me responsible, but I tend to view government warnings with a grain of salt. They are worth paying attention to, but you also have to use your own judgment. But regardless, Java is easy enough to uninstall if you have it... and reinstall if you need it.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@DebbieAG, I don't know if it is true or not. If you are worried press the start orb, in search type java, if nothing comes up it is probably not on your system. Or, you can go to all programs and see if Java is there, where you can delete it if it is. I do not have it on my system and so far have not needed it.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If you want to get rid of it fast and easy, just delete the java.exe(s) in the system32 folder. Note: there may be 2 or 3 .exes.

Posted 1 year ago

DebbieAG

Here's the site from US-CERT which is now under homeland security

http://www.us-cert.gov/current.....racle_java

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!