• Started 1 year ago by mredwards4410
  • Latest reply from heresjaken
  • Topic Viewed 6446 times

mredwards4410

Is ccleaner safe of spyware etc.?

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Yes, most definitely. As long as you get it from a responsible source. Two reliable sources that I use are Piriform.com and Filehippo.com

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

You may want to read as you install as to not install browser toolbars. Your can avoid those by using the "Slim" installers or the portable version.

Posted 1 year ago

mredwards4410

Thanks! Always a big help on this site! I got it from CNET.com so should be legit, ill watch for the stupid toolbars also.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

You may want to read as you install as to not install browser toolbars.
Note: Neither of the "responsible sites" I mentioned include any other software except the CCleaner program!

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

Unless they recently stopped but this is the current builds page.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

This is the link at Piriform that I use. the download here has no other software with it. Every Download link on the piriform pages takes you there. Not sure how you got where you are showing.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

Scroll down from that page and hit "builds page". The standard download is for the 4MB download, like I said, they may have stopped bundling it at some point but it used to have a toolbar option in the installer. Thus the Builds page showing different sizes and labels. So I wonder what that extra MB is for now..

Edit, in fact its still in there, Google Toolbar and Chrome installers.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Softpedia is another responsible download site...they make it clear when something is bundled.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

I just installed from the download sites I mentioned and there were no additional installs from either Filehippo or Piriform. Don't know why one would go to a Build page when trying to down load CCleaner Free unless you are looking for something extra.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

I've never had 'extras' from Filehippo or Piriform either Xhi

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

I've only ever downloaded from piriform, I 've been downloading form the build page to avoid the toolbars.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle

Hello Kelen
Just to add my twopenneth, If after asking a 'Q' and several Mods and senior members offer a solution, you can bet it is reliable and will have been well tested by them..
Personally I tend to use filehippo and have only ever seen "Download" so wonder if you have picked up a copycat site,with that word 'Build'.I
I would delete the CNET one and redownload AFTER delete (and doing a Full scan with your own AV or others)then download from either of the sites mentioned above.

You also may wish to have a read through this excellent Tutorial written by Mod Sarah.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=26

Good luck and keep your questions and answers coming

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

With the 'slim' version you don't always get the latest version (that's why it isn't always available on the 'builds' page) - Piriform obviously would prefer you to have the full version and as it's free then you can't really complain. As long as you untick the toolbar options then there is little difference. The portable version is always available if you prefer not to actually install anything. Filehippo is one of the main official download sources and they don't try to con you into using their own 'download tool' which many other sites offer & these can be worse than CCleaner's extras.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen

Hi Drizzle
I've been using ccleaner since version 1.28 , I never said it was unsafe, I said it at one time offered a toolbar. Which Is still inside its package but apparently not offering.

So just to test all possible ends, I've removed all piriform software and made sure no lingering reg key where still lying about. Download from both pirifom's standard method and through fillhippo. Opened both installers with 7zip, low and behold just like the picture above, the google toolbar and google chrome installers are in the exe that was downloaded from both sources. Run the pirifom download and no prompt was offered for any toolbar through any selection of normal or advanced. Uninstall again. Install from filehippo, still no prompt.

On the side I'm not saying google is unsafe either, just may be unwanted.

So like I gave in to above. It may have stopped offering the toolbar at some point in time, but is indeed still inside the exe. Don't know why they'd waste the space.

Slim installers don't carry this bit of extra weight and yes are released a few days after. This is behavior of someone doing a bundle with normal installers.

KasperskyAVP=Pass
SAS=Pass
Malwarebytes=Pass
A2=Pass
MSE=Pass

Hostfile still original.
No changes to dns settings.

Posted 1 year ago

heresjaken

I always use the portable version of it so I never have to install and I never have had a problem with it. I just download from yhe piriform site

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.