SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Is BLEACHBIT a good System Cleaner, better than CCleaner?

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2923 times

ispalten
ispalten

I guess I'm a Glutton for punishment, and I know this topic can/will make some 'natives' respond, but here goes.

Saw THIS REVIEW today. Very INTERESTING... and I will check it out.

Note, I've done some 'damage' to myself before cleaning out things I didn't think mattered, they did, so 'deep cleaning' might cause more problems.

I did run it and unchecked many of the pre-selected boxes. The results under PREVIEW are :

Disk space to be recovered: 2.67GB
Files to be deleted: 20297
Special operations: 58

Have not tried to figure out what 'Special operations' are yet? Web page doesn't seem to define it?

So I ran CCleaner to see what it thinks it has to do?

Made sure I had the lastest, 3.28 and used it as I normally would and it found 6.9GB's to remove???? However this is in less that 15,000 files? Obviously there are a few differences where and what each is searching for?

I notice some 'similarities' and a lot of .BAK files in each. Only problem I have is some of those might actually be worthwhile keeping if I need to 'roll' something back.

At this point with such a wide conflict, I'm not sure I'd like to even try EITHER one?

OK, fire away.

Irv S.

P.S., In the above review is this:

=========
In the introduction to this review I brought up CCleaner. I used to be really enthusiastic towards CCleaner, but as it has grown popular and has gotten pretty underwhelming and the installer has become riddled with crapware. I just cant handle that kind of thing.
=========

Crapware in CCleaner? Did I not see anything? Haven't see anything about that in the Install or did I mess it? Their web page for CCleaner says "100% Spyware FREE This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.", huh?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have tested bleachbit, and it caused problems. That was 2 or 3 years ago tho.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

LH, that is WHAT I'm afraid of, even with CCleaner to be honest. Removing stuff like History, Cache, and even a variety of files can be OK, but in the case of History you lose it but gain 'infinitesimal' space. Cache will just fill again, and who knows which .BAK is really needed?

One that BleachBit would remove is PREFETCH... and I've seen pro's and con's of doing this?

However the bigger problem to me is the sheer volume of files.

CCleaner is 'clearer' to read what files and from where is plans to delete it though.

Irv S.

What I had an almost impossible task was reconciling the two to see what was the difference is, so I gave up.

BleachBit is still not a 1.0 release either and is going under continual changes.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Do you actually use Superfetch ?

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I use Bleachbit in Mint on a regular basis. Never had any problems there. For Windows I would stick with CCleaner.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

W7 and W8 use that folder, 'supposedly' to speed up booting and I guess it even goes back further than that...

http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....tch-folder

From that link (for Vista),

======================
Each time you turn on your computer, Windows keeps track of the way your computer starts and which programs you commonly open. Windows saves this information as a number of small files in the prefetch folder. The next time you turn on your computer, Windows refers to these files to help speed the start process.

The prefetch folder is a subfolder of the Windows system folder. The prefetch folder is self-maintaining, and there's no need to delete it or empty its contents. If you empty the folder, Windows and your programs will take longer to open the next time you turn on your computer.
======================

Of course, some web sites, like HERE basically tell you the opposite. Also this leads some to really investigate, like HERE. Look at the statistics. Makes you wonder why BleachBit would be doing this (or allowing you too)?

Of course a lot of Prefetch data and links appear to be old, so who 'really' knows?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

LH, did you mean SUPERFETCH or PREFETCH, not really the same...

For SUPERFETCH, read HERE.

WHS, why stay with CCleaner and not BleachBit?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Superfetch (in Services), uses the old Prefetch folder in the Windows directory.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Irv, I just like to use what works. No special reason.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

MS Position Concerning Subject.
A tad old but still of value.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/arc.....s-and.aspx

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.