How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

iPod Touch imap/pop3 support

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pipo
  • Latest reply from pipo
  • Topic Viewed 4822 times

pipo
pipo

i'm planning to buy an ipod touch so i've been researching about it on the internet. i read in cnet that it doesn't support imap/pop3, unlike the iPhone. but then, i read in wiki that later models added imap/pop3 support. does anybody know anything about this?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I've got the 32GB iPod Touch and it does have IMAP support.

Posted 5 years ago

pipo
pipo

that's the one i was planning to buy. so, you can setup your email there, right? like gmail, for example?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Yes you can, I've got my IMAP gmail set up on mine and so far so good.

Posted 5 years ago

pipo
pipo

nice. what about applications/programs? are there free programs on the net for the touch? coz i hear that you need to hack it or something and that voids the warranty.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Well, Apple is 'working on it.' They are looking to set up 3rd party apps, but they must be approved by Apple and will become part of the iTunes store, so it will be a bit before that's available (will need a software update). If you want to unlock your iPod, Lifehacker has an entire section devoted to unlocking them along with a bunch of 3rd party apps.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I just remembered one thing to warn you about, I have a heck of a time to get this thing to connect to 802.11b networks, 802.11g is no problem but good luck with trying to connect to a b!!

Posted 5 years ago

pipo
pipo

ok, now that might be a problem, i've never really (cared to) distinguish 802.11b and 802.11g. btw, does the touch's wi-fi support wpa/wep encryption?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Yes it does. I think they just screwed something up with the last software update that made it a hassle to join an 802.11b network--there have been plenty of complaints about it in their forums so hopefully they will get it resolved in the next update.

Posted 5 years ago

pipo
pipo

hopefully, i wouldn't have problems with that for now. thanks for the info Budohorseman.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!