The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

(Solved) - iPad Mini--really?

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by TaylorCamp
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 995 times

TaylorCamp

Isn't the iPhone the true iPad mini? Will people buy this purely because it's cheaper than the previous one?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

You're comparing Apples and Kumquats. The i-Phone has only a 4" or 5" screen. The i-Pad Mini will have a 7" to 8" screen. There is a market for tablets that are smaller than the i-Pad and bigger than a smart phone because they are more portable than the larger tablets (will fit in pockets and purses) and have a larger screen that is easier to see and use than a smartphone.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

The good thing is that I will never be involved in this so called ipad/pod technology

There is something about Apple products that just don't bite at the core and leaves a bitter taste in the mouth

Posted 1 year ago

TaylorCamp

hmmmm. This website had an interesting article: http://www.web2carz.com/tech/b.....d-mini-why My main concern is that all the old iPad will become irrelevant as the old iPods did, which is frustrating because of the amount of money you spend on them

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

TaylorCamp, I disagree. That larger screen does have some value. Some games are just not good enough to be on a small screen. That is why there are some programs only for the iPad's. They really don't work well on smaller screens. Just like apps that are made for iPhones that you use the 2x to fill the iPad screen, some are very 'blocky' displays.

I for one want the larger display. The on-screen keyboard is larger and you see more data, like when surfing or getting e-mail.

The main reason for the 'mini' is because (I think) to combat new tablets of the same size. Price point as well. Choices are good for everyone. Of course, as some point all h/w winds up no longer supported. The reason for not supporting the original iPad was a memory constraint (http://momentafter.org/post/25.....ginal-ipad), not a desire by Apple to screw prior purchased iPads.

No different that in the Windows world... older h/w not supported with newer OS versions, and the requirement for RAM increasing. Only 'real' difference, the Windows world is 'usually' open architecture. If you need more RAM you can usually add it, same goes for non-supported h/w. Not so in a iPad.

That said, does one really need the new IOS? It added features to iPad's, and to the latest version only, Siri... To the best of my knowledge, the old iPad's still work and can still get apps. In time, those original iPad batteries will die, and you'll have to replace them and the whole iPad replacement would make sense then. No different than an old laptop, 3 or more years old running XP and not really upgradeable to W8 due to h/w and RAM constraints, not to mention a slow CPU by today's standards.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

TaylorCamp

All very true, ispalten. I guess I just have some problems with Apple, although I still purchase their products, because they seem to make suckers of us all (myself included) by CONSTANTLY upgrading, even when unnecessary

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Apple just wants to control the competition, and that's the philosophy behind iPad Mini.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

@ hatryst, Like!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think a 7" tablet makes a lot of sense. It is much easier to carry around than a 10" and not as finagly than a smartphone with a 4" screen. Should I ever buy a tablet, I would go for a 7".

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

I second whs. A teb like that would be real 'handy'. Especially if it runs iOS :)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

TaylorCamp, well, I think it is necessary. Apple products are basically 'sealed units'. You can not upgrade them, other than s/w. They also got themselves into upgrading on a schedule, and people expect that now. MS used to and still has a 'following' to be the first on the block with new OS releases.

I have in our house 2 iPad's. Basic reason for buying the first one was for travel. I detest having to lug a laptop just to get my e-mails and recreational diversions. Most are heavy, low batter life, and large as well as expensive. 2nd one was bought as my wife and I started 'fighting' over who could use it when. One game in particular, W.E.L.D.E.R., was the cause more than any other. Getting a 2nd one when the New iPad came out was at the right time. As it turns out, our ISP/Cable company now has an app for iPad/iPhone/Android's that allow you to watch TV on those devices. Nice since my wife 'owns' the DVR and records things I don't care for. This allows us to sit in bed before sleeping, she watching the DVR recordings and I can watch normal TV with earphones on the iPad. I am not sure how this would look on a smaller iPad Mini screen, but on a iPhone, it is almost useless if you want detail or need to read something, like the scrolling new on CNN at the bottom for instance. Barely readable on the iPad depending how far away (and your vision capabilities) from you.

Unnecessary, yes, but that is your fault if you think you need the newest greatest first (like our daughter).

The Mini will probably sell well, mostly due to price than configuration. It will, as I've read somewhere, probably 'steal' about 20% of its sales volume from iPad's that would have been bought if the Mini wasn't there. If true, that also means 80% would have bought a tablet from another vendor. That is a lot of sales/profit to lose, why not have a product that would be successful and make that profit?

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.