The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Ip on w7

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by xiset
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 888 times

xiset

Hey Agin guys i just got my new internett at home, and im trying to accses my router and when i open "cmd" and write "ip config" i usely get up an IP "192.168.0.12" or something but now i don't get it i just get some random numbers and the gateway that is the same as always how do i find out my ip ? :s

Dan.C

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Dan.C, ipconfig works for me in Win7 RC as it always has in past versions of Windows. There is no space between ip and config. What output do you get?

Posted 5 years ago

xiset

i have a picture i can link but is there anything i should hide on it ? im insecure :s

Dan.C

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Dan.C, all of the 192.168.x.x IP addresses are *private* addresses that can only be used inside your personal network. You should avoid giving out your external Internet (or WAN) IP whenever possible. Private IPs, such as 192.168.x.x cannot be used to hack into your system. Here is part of my ipconfig from Vista -- my Win7 is offline at the moment, but it's very similar.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9478:cd60:79c:b1a%8
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.106
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

You can capture the output in text, for easy editing. Right-click in the Command Prompt window, select Mark, highlight text with the mouse, and press Enter. This puts it in the clipboard so you can paste it in a post here, or in Notepad, and edit it before submitting.

Posted 5 years ago

xiset

It looks something like this there are loads of numbers and signs there and it never shows 192.168.1....not like yours do
i got no idea what is happeneing here i tryed to connect to the "IPv4" but dident work at all "/

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7057]
Copyright (c) 2009 TheWindows7Site.com

C:\Users\xiset>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d149:443f:b98e:e8e2%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 84.202.188.25
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 84.202.188.1

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Dan.C, first of all, I'm curious why your Windows copyright statement says "TheWindows7Site.com" instead of Microsoft. Are you running a utility from there?

As for the IPv4 address, this looks like a valid external IP address (in Europe) which is assigned by your ISP. This suggests that your router is not acting as a router, but doesn't tell us why. What is the make and model of the router? Also, do you have a separate modem from your ISP? Sometimes the modem and router are combined into one device.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.