The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

(Solved) - Invisible Background JPG

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by irule311
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 1958 times

irule311

I would like to create a JPG with an invisible background. I know it is possible because I have a JPG with and invisible background. For some reason it seems that all sources tell me that it is not possible. Here is the JPG with an invisible background for example http://www.mediafire.com/?oxzd3o1zqvdj1sv and the gif that I need to convert http://www.mediafire.com/?a7160f872pehck3. Please help.
Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Folks will not want to download your Gifs to see them. Please post a picture using the following instructions. http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=25

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Hi irule311

Use this to convert your GIF to JPG:

http://www.coolutils.com/online/image-converter/

You can right-click on the image above and click Save Image As to download to your computer. All yon need to do then is render the background invisible which I don't know how to do.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I've had a play and made the image myself. It would seem you can't save transparency effects in JPG or JPEG but you can in PNG...I can't do it anyway in Paint.Net.

You can right-click on this PNG image and click Save Image As to download...just crop and/or resize it. Remember to save as PNG. PNG is much better than JPG or JPEG as it does not degrade everytime you save a project...it has lossless compression.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You do not say what program you are using to do it, but here is how I have done it using GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.. How to make a transparent background/selection on an image using GIMP

Or just Google "how to make transparent background (add your program name (paint, photoshop, GIMP, SAI, etc.) here)"

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Against better judgement I downloaded your so called jpg file (having to download things just to take a look at them makes people nervous - like Xhi said before) and like I thought it's just a png which has had it's extension renamed to jpg.
Irfanview has a nice feature showing you mistakes like this.

Tony - it's not just in Paint.net that it won't work ;)
Transparency in jpg/jpeg/jfif isn't possible. They are lossy formats.
Edit: nice work btw :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

irule311

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Thanks Sarah...there's more to the construction of that image than meets the eye and it also sort of incidentally taught me how to lay images on top of another as a bonus. For years I wanted to put a graduated sky in the background of an image and now I know how to do it...yay! :D

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ irule311 - glad to be of help :)
It's best to just use png, since most sites will not allow you to upload files with the wrong extension.

@ Tony, I spend a lot of time working on things like that a couple of years ago. Pity is I haven't really used those skills for a long time now and I forgot at least half;)
Six or seven years ago the net was swarming with tutorials for paintshop pro and photoimpact and the likes, but a lot of those sites have since disappeared.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Paint.Net seems quite well served for tutorials. Coupled with Fastone image Viewer for altering file characteristics and dimensions these are an easily understood combination...for me anyway. GIMP is for proper image geeks which I'm not. :)

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I've been using PSP and PI for like forever, so I sort of grew into them ;)
Once I installed the Gimp to have a look, but it doesn't really add anything compared to the other two and had quite a learning curve (these days you can also have the Gimp with a Photoshop look, so that's a bit easier).
And you're right - your tools do all most people need. I don't use half of what can be done in PSP and PI either. Frankly 95% of the time even little old Irfanview is more than enough :D

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.