The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Internet Video streaming stops / starts

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Lefturn
  • Latest reply from GKI610
  • Topic Viewed 2281 times

Lefturn

When watching movie on internet I am getting some choppyness. Here is what I am running: Asus P5QL/EPU motherboard, LGA 775 Dual-Core 2.93 GHz Wolfdale E6500, 4 OZC Gold 1066 DDR2 (pc2 8500) and EVGA 512 DDR2. What is your take on this issue regarding the download sites, hardware, etc. Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

More than likely it is the feed you are getting. Buffering may not be getting enough ahead of the stream to keep it constant.

How are you connected, Dial-up, Cable, DSL, etc.? What d/l speed?

How is the network topology you are using, direct internet connection, modem, cable+modem, wired CAT5, wireless?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Lefturn

Hi Irv, DSL, modem, no router. I would think that 4gb high performance ddr2 would not have a problem, but I can always learn. What do you think?

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

You can check your download speeds at this site http://www.speedtest.net/
The quality of the movies you watch ,depends on the upload speeds of the source.So even
if you have fast download speeds ,you still can only get what the source is capable of sending.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Memory isn't the big player here. It is the NIC cards throughput, the DSL line's quality, and how fast the server can send the data.

I'd run the speed test too but it probably wouldn't show that much. Different servers and you'd not get a real reading for the server you were using.

A TRACERT to the server (from a COMMAND PROMPT enter "TRACERT WWW.servername.com" using the real server name) should give you some data on how far you have to go and some response times.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

What speed are you paying for? 1.5mbps? 3;7? or 256kbps?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!