The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Internet Time Synchronization in Vista

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Enno
  • Latest reply from TheloniousMunnk
  • Topic Viewed 7085 times

Enno

The internet time synchronization function doesn't want to work on my new Vista (Business) installation on a new machine. I always get "an error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with..." and it doesn't matter which of the several time synchronization sites I try. I've not used this on previous machines. I am hooked up to the internet on a cable modem (Comcast) through a router; the router is an older 802.11b (not g or n) unit. Web searching suggests making sure the targets are right, but they can't all be wrong. Could it be that older routers can't handle this or that a setting needs to be altered? All other internet access stuff works fine, and this is a desktop that is wired to the router - not a wireless problem.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Do you have a third-party firewall on your machine? You need to make sure that outbound traffic is allowed to the time server.

here's a few alternative servers you can try:

time-a.nist.gov
129.6.15.28 NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland
time-b.nist.gov 129.6.15.29 NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland
time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.101 NIST, Boulder, Colorado
time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.102 NIST, Boulder, Colorado
time-c.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov 132.163.4.103 NIST, Boulder, Colorado
utcnist.colorado.edu 128.138.140.44 University of Colorado, Boulder
time.nist.gov 192.43.244.18 NCAR, Boulder, Colorado
time-nw.nist.gov 131.107.1.10 Microsoft, Redmond, Washington
nist1.symmetricom.com 69.25.96.13 Symmetricom, San Jose, California
nist1-dc.WiTime.net 206.246.118.250 WiTime, Virginia
nist1-ny.WiTime.net 208.184.49.9 WiTime, New York City
nist1-sj.WiTime.net 64.125.78.85 WiTime, San Jose, California
nist1.aol-ca.symmetricom.com 207.200.81.113 Summetricom, AOL facility, Sunnyvale, California
nist1.aol-va.symmetricom.com 64.236.96.53 Symmetricom, AOL facility, Virginia
nist1.columbiacountyga.gov 68.216.79.113 Columbia County, Georgia
nist.expertsmi.com 69.222.103.98 Monroe, Michigan

Posted 6 years ago

Enno

Got it in one. Thank you, again. I'm running McAfee (free with my ISP contract). Worked immediately when I added the IP address to the trusted list. Curiously, McAfee never asked if I would like to allow access, which it does in other circumstances.

It was very kind of you to list all the different options, because the default list of time servers is pretty short. Fortunately one of the ones you listed was on the shorter default list. If I wanted to add all of those you have listed to the set of places Vista could go, how would I do that? In other words, where does Vista store the time servers and associated IP addresses?

Would an alternative approach would be to add the time synchronization program to the trusted programs list, rather than an individual site? Can't be that hard to find the name of the exe file doing the work.

Thanks again,
Enno

Posted 6 years ago

TheloniousMunnk

It is much easier to add the time sync program. Just add 'w32tm.exe' to trusted programs with full access. It is located in system32 folder.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!