How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Internet speed.

(22 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Niks
  • Latest reply from Hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 3008 times

Niks
Niks

I use a dial-up connection at my home. I am using windows 7 ultimate. Is is really possible to increase my internet speed by using some softwares?

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

It is not possible. Don't be fooled by any software that claim to increase the internet speed for a dial-up connection. All it does is disable image files with very little optimization.

Posted 4 years ago

pc101
pc101

Hi Niks. I'm not sure if this "TCP Optimizer" will work with Wds 7 ....It's worth a try...though .
http://www.softpedia.com/get/T.....izer.shtml

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

You can't get any more data trough a connection than the modem speed itself. However, if both the ISP and you use compression/decompression on the data, you can have more data at your end as more data arrives at the same time after decompression. The question however is less time spent compressing by ISP, sending to you, and by decompressing on your PC than it would have taken to send that data uncompressed?

In any event, nothing on your PC alone could speed up the data flow through the modem.

There were are one time I recall some modems that did a dual transfer, that is 2 phone connections and combined the data to add speed, but I've not seen those in a long time.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

@santo
but what about those DAP softwares?? don't they work either???

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

I'm another geek like you Niks, who uses dial up. And believe me, I play a 3D multiplayer game online, only via dial-up !
Dont underestimate dial-up !
(But there are some limitations regarding downloading, streaming and buffering)
BTW, why do you want to increase your internet speed? For browsing or for downloading?

Posted 4 years ago

pc101
pc101

Niks. DAP ...is for downloading ...." Kind of different from loading IE" ...
BTW ...DAP is good ....try it ..."Free" ...
http://www.speedbit.com/

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

@hatryst
For both, dwnld as well as browsing. My download speed is never goes beyond 3kbps. this sucks... but this made my jaws down that u play 3d games online on a dial-up... How???

@pc101
buddy, i have tried DAP once... seriously, i didnt noticed any speed optimization. It was having a hard to understand interface as well...:(

Posted 4 years ago

pc101
pc101

3Kbps ....? I feel your pain bud ....
Anyway ....I 'd not say Its faster by using DAP ...But rather improving "very stable" download speed as the max ISP can support ..

I constantly get 1.7Mbps now ...Before it'd drop to .8Mbps without DAP ...

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

will DAP work for a dial-up? i use "idea" mobile connection and using a nokia 3110c phone as modem...

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Niks, the game is counter srike 1.6, and i've optimized it so that i can play it on dial up !

EDIT: Niks, tell me, do you use bluetooth/infrared/data cable/which medium, to connect ur phone to the PC?
I see that you use cellular connection for internet access. I've tried it and there are quite a lot of connectivity and quality issues. It is basically 'wireless' internet connection, not dial up (as far as i know). Make sure you get full signals on your phone while using the web. Thats how you can get better speed...
Dial up is the net connection which uses phone 'line', so there are no data losses

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

i use a data cable to connect. towers r generally full when i connect. but i still need some speed optimization... isnt there a sure shot way?

Posted 4 years ago

JonMCC33
JonMCC33

@Hatryst
You might be able to connect while on dial up but believe me that everyone else on the server is screaming at you for the lag.

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Well, JonMCC33, i play only on those servers having less than 10 players. If the number of players is more than 10, i disconnect...!

Its just a myth that a dial-up player causes lag. I play on my friend's personal server, and no one has yet complained about lagging or latency issues. Even when there are 3 players playing via dial-up on the server, there's no lagging :)

You can try it for yourself !

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

hatryst, which game do you play usually??

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Niks, Its counter strike 1.6 (Half-Life MOD)
Counter strike

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Anyway Niks, we started with the topic of Internet Speed, but it went off-topic !
So the solution to your problem is to switch to high-speed internet (DSL/ADSL). And thats for your other post as well... But i dont think there's any easy way to improve the speed of this wireless internet. But you can check this topic I started :)

Speed up dial up

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

It was really helpful. thanks Hatryst and all. The problem is now solved.

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

No problem Niks, keep in touch !

Posted 4 years ago

youcan123

this is for Niks,
u can speed up ur internet connection little faster while using internet accelerator, if u need reach google and find it

and to find your internet speed http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.