The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Internet speed

(25 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by sparky7415
  • Latest reply from JadeEmperor
  • Topic Viewed 3261 times

sparky7415

My roomate moved and made things difficult with my computer.Anyway I had my line disconnected for a while and had it back online today.Is 23496 kbps download and 4202 upload ok?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

That sounds like an awful lot. I run about 5000 and 500kbps on a 6000Kbit line - sometimes a little better, but not much. Here are some speed tests with which you can check it http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Sparky, those numbers are amazing. The Geek was just confirming that he has 20 Mbps down and 5 Mpbs up with Verizon FIOS. That is Fiber optic To The Premises (FTTP), some of the fastest broadband available to consumers in the US. Here is another tester:
http://speedtest.net

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

It's got to be 2349.6/420.2

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

I saw the results.good for me,screw it,

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

I love Scott's response,where's Lighthouse? Good geek.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Sparky, after running the test at speedtest.net, they provide a link to the results. Post yours here and that will quiet the doubters. Here's what I got just now:

Who is your ISP and what technology are they using?

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Hey Guys (and Gals?),

Here are mine in my primitive archaic dial up . . . these should make you all certainly glad that you have broadband.

I'm surprised a hand didn't come out from the screen and slap me silly and saying "Are you kidding me?"

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

Scott W, in my opinion you are one of the best of the best. I'm not trying to brag,I'm not that way.The technician from Comcast, my (ISP)showed me the results.I didn't capture the results as I'm still a rookie at that stuff.I know about fiber optics as I've worked with the technology as an electrician and it may very well be that he showed me a screen shot to B.S me.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415

Hey Bob Jam,don't be bummed out,the turtle beat the hare in the long run with good old fashioned common sense.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Sparky, You really made us curious. Would be nice if you ran one of the line test programs we suggested and verify the numbers - they are really exraordinary. Here is one of my line tests.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

Uk, so slower!

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@bobjam you still have a higher up speed than i do though LOL

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Jack,

Are you serious, or are you just kidding??

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

I think it's an anomaly, a burst rate for the first few seconds.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Scott, I think you are right. I remember reading about it, but forgot where.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@bobjam i will post mine when i get home but mine is usually around like 1300kb/s and 90kb/s - 120kb/s if i remember correctly

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

my download speed seems to be a bit slow at the moment but here are my results

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Jack,

Very intersting. Your download speed is about 25X mine, but YES your upload speed is slightly less than mine. Very curious why that is.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

@Sparky and Scott, when I was at my Dad's, I saw similar burst speed results from his cable modem service with Cox Communications. On this web page, they explain the PowerBoost technology that they use which is probably similar, or identical, to what Comcast does. Even if this burst of speed only lasts for a short while, it sounds like a good feature. For however long it lasts, you are getting fiber speed at a cable modem price!

@Bobjam, that upstream speed is odd. If you have a dial-up modem, such as a V.90, the max upload speed should be around 36 kbps.

@ALL, the number that really matters is the real world throughput which can only be measured when downloading a large file, for example:

700 KBytes/sec on my 6 Mbps connection is quite satisfactory.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.