How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Internet Router Problem

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Jesse
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 1030 times

Jesse

Ok heres the deal,

Whenever my brother goes on his computer and loads up a myspace page, downloads something, or buffers a movie on youtube, my ping goes through the roof. It gets really annoying and I was wondering if there was anyway I could make it so that it didnt lag my internet connection when he does that kind of stuff.

I know this isnt "Your network/internet Needs" but you guys are the smartest guys I know and provide me with the best answers, so I posted here =).

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Jesse,

You didn't specify how you are connecting to net ??

Your Static IP address will get pinged but your ISP can handle that.

If you are taking about directed pop-ups and such, they are riding in on port 80.

Your internal network should not be pingable if your Router Ports are CLOSED.

Your machine port 445 should be CLOSED in Firewall.

In fact on those sites mentioned, run Firewall with NO exceptions.

Connect through an anonymous server. Search on google.

Just some suggestions.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Jesse

Im connecting to the net through my houses router. Its not wireless. Not pop ups, just whenever he chooses to do anyting he sucks up all the internet. Is there anyway I could alter the route so he cant suck all the internet connection to himself?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Jesse,

Sounds like a bandwidth issue.

What is make and model of Router ??

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I'd suggest getting a router that could support third party firmware. I use a buffalo router with Tomato firmware. I used to have similar issues. The Tomato firmware lets your set the number of simultaneous connections. Most common routers don't handle more than 125. I have my buffalo set to 4092. Now when i download torrents and my wife is on Myspace, i can still surf the internet without any slowdowns.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware

If you really want to have some fun, you can go into the router and just block Myspace. LOL, did that to my wife once....it was awesome watching her try to figure out what happened to myspace.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

InDiSent,

Yes. After he clarified his first post concerning PINGS, I figured it must be a Bandwidth problem.

He might not even be using a real router - Don't know until he comes back.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Jesse, the current ethernet protocols and infrastructure do not include support for data packet prioritizing. The result is that your router has no idea which data streams are urgent and which are not. As a result, a low priority application, such as web surfing, can slow down a high priority application such as media streaming, VoIP, and games(!). Currently, the usual way around this is by using a specialized router, or specialized router firmware as InDiSent suggests. These specialized routers are often called gaming routers because, like you, the user wants to insure their in-game ping remains low while others are using the shared bandwidth.

Here's a thread at Tom's Hardware with suggestions on gaming routers:
http://www.tomshardware.com/fo.....ing-router

Posted 5 years ago

Jesse

Awww thanks guys. I think im just gona block myspace and laugh at my brother.

I cant afford a router, but ty ty ty =).

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

LOL

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!