The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) ~ Internet Explorer spawning multiple processes

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Vadriel
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 40670 times

Vadriel

I recently bought a brand new computer, and I'm having no end to my Internet Explorer difficulties. It came equipped with Interet Explorer 7 and Windows Vista (though I'm not sure what the version is).

The problem is this: I've been noticing that every so often when I use Internet Explorer, the computer will get really really slow...so I open up the Task Manager to see what's using up all my memory, and I discover that Internet Explorer has started to spawn countless copies of the IExplorer.exe process (in addition to the one instance of the IEUser process). As long as an IE window is open, it continues to spawn them at a rate of about one for every two or three seconds...without any input from me whatsoever.

Even after closing the IE window and ending each and every process by hand, I find that as soon as I start IE again it begins with one IEuser process and one Iexplorer process...then starts spawning more Iexplorer.exe processes as before. Even rebooting the computer doesn't seem to faze it. Every now and then it'll finally stop doing it, but I have no idea what I did to get it to quit and eventually it'll start doing it again at some random time.

Please help, I'm at my wit's end. Just shelled out money I really couldn't afford to spend for this computer and I really need the crazy thing so I can work...which isn't very possible when my computer slows to a crawl any time I use Internet Explorer. Thanks in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I think you have contracted a virus. What A/V do you have ?

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

I have the paid version of Spyware Doctor, and I did the complete scan last night with an absolutely pristine diagnosis. And this, like I said, is a brand new computer...the only things I've downloaded or sites I've visisted are ones I know are clean. Add in the fact that I've been having the problem nearly since I unboxed the computer, and I really don't think I have a virus...

I read something about Internet Explorer running multiple processes for different tabs, but I don't understand why it would do anything like this. Also, after I posted my first message I went away and left the computer for about 15 minutes, came back, and it had stopped doing it. Then, a little while ago it started up again.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-49199

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I would try online scanners. Only pick the well known names,
http://www.google.co.uk/search.....38;start=0

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

sorry, wrong response.

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

To Scott...I appreciate the link and yes that is what seems to be going on with me, but you don't really offer a solution that I can see. The poster in that thread says he/she's not experiencing any real slowing while I most certainly am.

Also, all this seems to be associated with IE8...I have IE7, not 8. Any thoughts? Is there a way to turn this off, so that it doesn't slow me down? I mean, I literally can have up to 40 processes from one Internet Explorer window that has two default tabs open (Google.com and Yahoo.com). Should I get IE8, since it seems they've worked on it to the point where it doesn't hinder computer performance? I'm just really not sure what I'm supposed to glean from your post, except for the fact that others have this problem too.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

I remembered that thread and hoped you might figure something out from it.
Certainly 40 processes from 1 IE window is unacceptable. LH was probably on to something with running AVs.

We've had some success with Malwarebytes of late, it's a small, free download from here,

http://www.malwarebytes.org

While you're there, get Rogue Remover as well and please post back.

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

Ok, first off Rogue Remover gave me a clean bill of health.
Malwarebytes came up with 3 items, here's the logfile (sorry if I got the code tags wrong):

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1467
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

12/6/2008 9:42:30 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-06 (21-42-25).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 48993
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{ae18ad4e-1b94-3648-93ee-7bde9fcee3e0} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ae18ad4e-1b94-3648-93ee-7bde9fcee3e0} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Windows\x2v21802.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

And those entries were removed/quarantined, you rebooted and still dozens of processes in IE7?

Where did you buy the PC?

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Oh, another thing, when i open IE, it comes up as iexplore.exe, not iexplorer.exe. Was that a typo?

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

Firstly, yeah it was a typo. Iexplore.exe is correct. I didn't have it up in front of me at the time.

Secondly, I'm not really familiar with what files are all right and just mistaken as bad, and which are truly bad, so I still have Malwarebytes opened after the scan, haven't removed the files yet. So far right now, nothing's going on with IE though...it's on one of it's "not doing it" grace periods. I'll go ahead and remove/reboot though.

Edit: Oh, and it was from Wal-Mart. Not a highly renowned PC store, but it has good deals for a semibroke college student. =P

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Ok, there is a difference.

Go ahead and delete those entries. Reboot please and post back.

I asked where you bought it because you'd be surprised by how many members report problems with PCs that seemingly 'fell off the truck'.

Also, please download and install SpywareBlaster , update the program and enable all protection.

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

Well, apparently that seems to have done it. At least, it's not doing it right now...and it also got rid of a nasty bug I've been having since I bought the computer, that causes the first result I click on any time I do a Google search to redirect to some ad (sometimes even trying to pull the Antivirus 2009 scam). Thanks a lot, Scott. If it comes back, I'll let you know.

And I'll grab SpywareBlaster too. Thanks again, man.

Edit: SpywareBlaster installed/updated/enabled. Let's hope this is the end of my troubles. ^_^

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Hope so. Thanks for posting back :)

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

Thank YOU for helping me out, man. I've been fighting with this for a couple weeks, almost since I bought it. The Google bug was similarly irritating. I'm very glad to have this taken care of, and I'm probably better-protected now with all the software you had me get. Thanks a million, now I know where to come if I have any problems. =)

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

You had a BHO, Browser Helper Object. Probably the cause of both issues. More can be found here.

Posted 5 years ago

Vadriel

Good to know, thanks! I'll run this software every so often to make sure I'm not picking up any nasties. =P

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Vadriel,

Two other small programs we often find useful and highly recommend around here.

REVO removes not only the programs you wish, but many of the leftover registry bits.
PCDecrapifier removes the trialware often found on new PCs.

Posted 5 years ago

Malcolm

I have the exact same problem where I have multiple instances of Internet Explorer (explore.exe) running in my task manager even though I never use the program ( I have 24 processes running as I type this. All ranging from about 5,000k to 25,000k) and when I manually end the processes they reappear within minutes.I also get the same internet explorer pop ups once about every 2-3 minutes. I downloaded Malwarebytes but when I scanned, removed and rebooted, I was unable to use any of my browsers because when I opened my firefox, for instance, it said that a proxy server was refusing my connection. I was forced to system restore and now I am still experiencing the multiple instances of Internet Explorer. I also have the problem where when I click on any google search result I am redirected to a random advertisement. Please help.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.