SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Internet Explorer browser safe now?

(47 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Janie
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 1796 times

Janie

The link that StringJunky sent me above is to add it to Chrome. How do I get it for IE?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Check here.

The free version has unlimited blocking for the first 30 days. After that, it will block only the first 200 ads a day. Whether that will be enough depends on how long one is online in a day and how ad rich the sites visited are. It's amazing how fast that 200 limit can be reached.

The Pro (paid for) version (which is what I have) is unlimited and can be installed on up to three computers. You would have to contact them to see if you can have the Chrome version and the IE version on the same license. Even if you can't, at least it's a lifetime license.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

To adblock IE9, click on the two links at the top of the page in the link below: Add TPL for Fanboy Adblock List and Add TPL Fanboy Tracking List

http://www.fanboy.co.nz/ie.html

If you click IE9 Settings > Manage Addons > Tracking Protection you should see this:

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

For IE;

http://simple-adblock.com/

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

First off, is my adblock plus for Chrome only a 30 day trial? I didn't notice if it was. :)

Next, StringJunkie, what does it do if I click on that you told me about above - clicking on the TPL....in your last message? Does that make it NOT be a trial version for IE9 or what???

How much is that PRO paid for version of Simple Adblock for IE?

I know I ask some crazy questions, but I'm learning as I go, thanks to you ALL! :)

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Everything I've linked to is free with no time limits. It will add those two items in the image I posted. By default I never link to a paid app without saying so just like LF has rightly notified you about her link. :)

Note: You must click on those links in IE9 to add the IE9 TPL adblocker .

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Who or what is fanboy? Is that you, StringJunky? :) I know I ask a lot of questions but I always ask if I'm wondering. Guess I'm a bit over cautious.

Also, after I add adblock to hubby's IE9, can I then go and and hide his referrers also?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

In the link I posted, clicking on the Products tab will show the price ($29.95). If I recall correctly, the only download is the free version and one buys a key to unlock the Pro features. I suggest downloading the free version and use it for the first 30 days. If, after the 30 day trial period runs out, the 200 ad daily limit kicks in, and you find it to be too low, then buy the license. You can always try the license on the second installtion to see if it will work on both. As I said before, it's essentially a lifetime license so you have to pay only once (assuming you and your husband even need it).

Nothing wrong with questions. They are how you learn and are much better than dumb mistakes arising from not asking them.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Fanboy is one of the original adblock list compilers...he's very well-known in those circles along with a guy called Rck who started EasyList but has since died. Other people maintain the Easy list now in his memory. Fanboy's list and Rick's Easylist are the ones I use and Fanboy has modded his list to work in IE9 amongst other browsers. The grandad of them all is Wladimir Palantz who started Adblock Plus.

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Thanks for explaining that to me, StringJunky.

Can't really tell what I did to IE9 is doing anything for hubby's PC, like the Adblock Plus I added to my Chrome. There are NO ads at all on Facebook or Youtube, etc...in my Chrome now, but I still see the adds to the right...in hubby's FB, with IE. Boo Hoo! :(

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Odd that. I don't use Facebook so I can't check it out but I almost never see ads on other websites (and, at least, they aren't the obnoxious or intrusive kind when they do show up). Try right clicking on the little circle with the diagonal line at the very bottom of the page to make sure Adblock was enabled.

Another thought just struck me (ouch!). Did you use the Adblock you downloaded for Chrome on IE9 or did you get the download from the link Mike and I supplied?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

A lot of 'social networking' sites track you into oblivion once logged in.

Consider how you share, like, etc. You really are showing your persona to a community that will suck everything from you.

I don't have these issues because I don't get involved in any of them.

It seems the issues are with the sites you visit.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

I did what StringJunky said to do for IE9. It was free so I did that, but can't tell any difference, I don't think??? If it's blocking some ads, maybe I just don't notice, since it's not blocking all the ads, like Adblock Plus is on my Chrome.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Try downloading from here, install it on the computer using IE9, and see if it makes a difference.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

LF

Simple Adblock doesn't work on Facebook and apparently nothing will because all ads are delivered from the FB servers. This means in order to block all the ads you have to block FB, at least for the way adblockers work in IE9 anyway. I've tried several things today at this issue including a css script and I'm at a dead end now.

Janie

If you go into the tracking protection section of IE9 you will see a link under the list called Get Tracking List Online. Try some of those out by adding them and see what works best for your old man. None work on FB though.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

And there is yet another reason I will never use Facebook.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

LF

FB is a virus! :D

Janie

Do NOT add the TrustE tracking protection in that list. It actually enables tracking for certain preferred companies and stops the blockers! ;(

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Well, the Adblock Plus you told me how to add, took the adds and JUNK off my FB! :) I have noticed I have to open my Chrome browser first and then they'll be gone when I click on my FB icon. IF I click on my FB icon first, they aren't gone yet.

My hubby wants me to ask why the tabs for each of the pages he opens is not showing anymore at the top of his search engine, since I added that Adblock, like ya showed me, StringJunky (or is it Tony?)? Only 1 tab will stay up there at a time. If he clicks on another page, then he loses the prior page he had open (not at the bottom, just the tabs at the top).

Posted 1 year ago

Janie

Where is the tracking protection section of IE9?

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Settings (cog icon) > Manage Add-ons > Tracking Protection. You can enable/disable/remove a list by clicking on one and clicking the appropriate button..

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.