The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Internet Explorer (64-bit) cannot be the default browser

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by contactRaul
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1498 times

contactRaul

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) OS in my desktop PC. Whenever I go to Internet Options to delete temporary files, I notice the following statements:

Internet Explorer is the default web browser.

[x] Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default browser.

Internet Explorer (64-bit) cannot be the default browser.

I find these statements very confusing. Sometimes, the third statement is absent. So which is it? Can the 64-bit Internet Explorer be the default browser or not?
And how can I make sure that it is? Does it make any difference, and why?

Does anyone know? Should I just ignore these statements? Should I uncheck the box to tell me if IE is not the default browser? Please help me clear this up. Thanks. ContactRaul

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

A Microsoft MVP answers the question, "I have Windows 7 64-bit and need to use Internet Explorer 32-bit" His answer details some answers to your questions and I recommend you read it. It states "IE 64-bit (cannot be the default)"

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You don't want the IE 64bit anyhow. It is a lot slower than the IE 32bit which you should use even on a 64bit system.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

whs

I don't think this applies with IE10. 64bit uses 32bit tabs for compatibility and you have to enable Enhanced Protected Mode in Settings > Internet Options > Advanced > Security > Enhanced protected Mode to make it fully 64bit...can't tell the difference to be honest. It still feels as fast as Chrome. :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

SJ, that may be true for IE10 (which I am not using except on the rare occasion when I use Windows 8). But I think the OP did not specify that he is using IE10.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!