The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - internet access

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by manybellsdown
  • Latest reply from manybellsdown
  • Topic Viewed 750 times

manybellsdown

I shut down my computer last night using the power button because because it wouldn't shut down in the usual way.
I'm running windows 7 64 bit. When I powered up this morning I couldn't access the internet. Neither firefox nor IE could find the server.
Diagnostics shows no problem. And there should be no problem because when I hook up my server modem to my windows xp computer
I have access as usual. What do you suppose is wrong? Everything else works just fine. I'm perplexed and getting anxious.
I thought restoring might be ok but then I would have to ask myself why the computer wouldn't shutdown except manually. And I'm afraid to go there.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

(needless to say, I'm using XP to write to this forum).
I hope this doesn't sound too confusing . . . .

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

manybellsdown

Hi ispalten. thanks for your suggestions but I'd already tried the methods outlined. The problem is
my browsers say they can't display the webpage. the diagnostic procedures were unrevealing.
As I said, my isp connection is working fine, as attested by the fact that I'm online right now
using my old computer. d.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Could be a corrupted file I guess? Could cause both problems or more than one file is damaged?

Run 'SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt to check for this.

Other choice, RESTORE to a date when it was known to be working I guess? No go, re-install in place over itself... no go, clean install is the only suggestions I can offer.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

manybellsdown

ispalten, I gave in and took the computer to a repair shop today.
I ran SFC /SCANNOW but that also was unfruitful.
thank you for your efforts nonetheless. d.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.