The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Internal hard disk drive not found dell laptop

(23 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Lizzy28
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 4048 times

Lizzy28

I have a two year old dell windows 7 laptop that is displaying the following message on a black screen: internal hard disk drive not found. To resolve this, try to reset the drive.
No bootable devices--strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility
Press f5 to run inboard diagnostics.

I came on here and read a previous thread on the se issue and the suggestion was to remove the hard drive and put it back in. I did that but I got the same screen. I also ran the onboard diagnostics without any issues meaning all tests passed but I'm getting the same message.

If anyone can help please reply to this thread. Thank you!!

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

I should also add that the hard drive makes a clicking sound when I power it back on.

Posted 2 years ago

James4455

This sounds like head crash. Head crash is permanent and unfortunately about the worst thing that can occur. While there are other possibilities; low voltage, failure of controller circuitry, and may possibly (hopefully) only a loose connection. I would start by looking at the bios settings an take note of how(if) the HD is found. Turn off the machine, open the case and unplug the HD and reconnect, this would be a best case sceanario.
Hope this helps

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Lizzy28 welcome. That does sound like your hard drive has died. Do you have any data you need to get off it ? And do you have access to another computer ?

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

Thanks for replying. Most of my data is out on Dropbox so I should be okay. I did have a few things on my desktop that were important. What is the best way for me to transfer it over to a different computer?

Posted 2 years ago

James4455

Oops, I just realized that the op stated a laptop computer. My best guess is to replace the HD. You DO have backup, right? Right?

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

Yes mostly everything is backed up. Thank goodness!!

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

For the moment then, install a new HDD.

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

Will try that. Thank you!

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Go for a Western Digital, or a Samsung.

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

Going to buy a new laptop after all. My son got a hold of the dell and popped off the keys on the keyboard. :(. He is only one so shame on me for leaving it out in his reach. Any recommendations???

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

If he has actually broken the keys, then a new keyboard is not that expensive. Installing it can be a little tricky if you have not done it before.
As for a new laptop, would depend on your needs, and budget.

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

Haven't done it before. My budget is not to exceed $800. Need it mainly for work and personal use. I run a business and have a family so it needs to satisfy both. Mainly, we use it for email, online media like Facebook etc...and business purposes like excel, word doc, and pdf files. I guess just a pretty basic machine that will last longer than my dell. thanks!!

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

So no gaming or heavy duty stuff then.
I am running 3 Dell laptops, mostly 24/7 for the last 6 and 7 years. I find them very reliable. What model do you have now ?

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

No gaming. All gaming is done on an Xbox. Not sure which model I have. I'm away from it now. It has a pink colored top on it if that helps. I am considering another dell as I know they are pretty good in most cases.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Have a look on the Dell site, and post back with what you like. (and pink doesn't help me one bit :)

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

Didn't think so. :).

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Just let me know what you have now, and anything you might fancy.

Posted 2 years ago

Lizzy28

I like the dell Inspiron 5520. It seems to have everything we need. I currently have the dell Inspiron 1545. Thoughts?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Looks good. In fact that's probably something like what I would go for if 1 of my Inspirons died.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.