The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Intermittent internet

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by smithje
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 498 times

smithje

My Acer laptop has started to play up. I can open Internet Explorer sometimes and it runs OK for a short while then slows to a complete halt. I've run the virus checker (AVG's freebie), done a disc clean and de-frag, uploaded all the new Windows updates but nothing seems to help. Can you please?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Try another browser like Google Chrome, Firefox or Palemoon. See if the same thing happens. That will narrow the problem down to either Internet Explorer or your internet connection and will make things easier to diagnose.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

smithje, hi and welcome to HTG.

Do you run other browsers?

One of the first things to look at is your startups in msconfig.

As admin, open cmd and type msconfig
A new window should open. In 'startup' uncheck the programs you don't need to start, click 'apply' the 'ok', you will now need to reboot.

Also a couple of other apps may help you here; Superantispyware free edition

And a very good cleaner; http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Don't run the 2 together.

A reboot of your router might be a good idea too, unplug for 2 mins then reconnect and reboot your machine

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

smithje

Many thanks both. I've installed another browser but it's just as slow. I rebooted my router and that speeded the first reboot. I've done things in msconfig which may or may not have speeded up the startup - the problem is so intermittent it's difficult to tell. However, loading sites from the internet seems to be just as slow. When I'm feeling more robust I'll have a go at the cleaner. Would there be any value in using the Vista restore to go back to before all this started happening? I'm tempted to delete loads of things with odd names but, as I deleted colonel32 (very odd and suspicious name I thought!!!) from my old PC when it was causing me headaches, I'm wary of doing that now!!!! Jane

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

When things are running good and when things are running slow go to Speedtest.net wait for the Begin button and check you Internet speed. See if there is a difference.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.