• Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 940 times

whs

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=505

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

Really hard to determine due to the O/S installed base.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Rick, I agree. This is not the whole story. But still, once you have more than a handful of users, most errors will show up. And I think Vista has enough users to get a good shakedown.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

whs,

You are correct and will be even more so. When MS cut off support for XP June 30th and the manufacturers were forced to quit shipping XP, now one will see a dramatic increase in Vista's installed base which will increase the ratio even more in Vista's favor. The same has happen and been touted by MS and Writers (who get paid for a living) with every O/S release since Dos 1.1.

Not good nor bad, just a fact in statistics. The Bad Guys never go away, they will just change along with the installed base so the ratios and numbers will be meaningless after a period of time. After all, who would spend time hacking Win98 users (LOL)? No money in it :)

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Interesting point Rick. I used to hack msdos.sys. What's the difference?

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Could part of this be because VISTA ships with IE8 and IE8 is more secure than the IE that XP shipped with?? Don't really know if that's the case, because the author of that article didn't break down the stats to OS versus Browser used, but if it is it would skew the stats in VISTA's favor.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

BobJam, I think it is the whole package. IE, Firewall, etc.. Plus the very frequent security updates.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Lighthouse,

Yes; that is exactly what I mean. When Dos was "king" we both spent many hours dissembling the O/S just like we broke Lotus 123 and other programs because we (I) couldn't afford to purchase the software to run on our (my) home PC.

The (Real) Bad Guys now will spend their time on Vista and the Net because that is (will be) the Installed Base and where the big costs and money are.

Often thought that (IF) MS would just sell its O/S for say around $99 bucks with no different skews, then they could cut their development and support cost by Billions because Piracy would almost disappear.

As for Net Security, this will probably always remain an issue because there have always been those with nefarious intentions and purposes since the beginning of the human race.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@BobJam: Not quite correct. IE8 is the version of Internet Explorer currently in development.
Here are the versions shipped with each OS for reference:
Windows XP has Internet Explorer 6
Windows XP SP2 has Internet Explorer 6 SP2
Windows Vista comes with Internet Explorer 7 with protected mode
You can install Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP but it doesn't have protected mode so it's not as secure.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Thanks for the correction, jd2066. Was not sure about it anyway.

Is there an IE8 Beta out??

Is there any way to enable protected mode on IE7 on XP??

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@BobJam: Yes, there is an IE8 beta but I wouldn't recommend installing it as one it's a beta and two being an OS componet any problems with it can mess up other parts of the OS. Protected Mode is possible to due User Account Control in Windows Vista so it's not possible to have it in Windows XP.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

but if you really want to risk it yourself i think that you can get it at www.filehippo.com

i would link right to it but as jd posted it's not recomended to use it yet so use at your own risk and we don't want someone getting it and messing things up that doesn't know how to fix it.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.