How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Integratable Compression Utility

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 926 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

I currently use Zip Genius, as it supports many different formats for un-compressing (not so many for compressing, but it does have 7-zip support). I am looking for (if one exists) a compression utility that integrates itself into Windows Explorer in the same way that the built-in .zip archiving does.

Anyone know if one of these exist?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Do you mean the way ZIP files display like a normal folder in Windows Explorer? If so what is wrong with it that you an alternative to?

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Yes, I am referring to how ZIP files display like normal folders in Windows Explorer. I am not looking for an alternative to the ZIP compression files, Windows Explorer handles them how I like. I am looking for a program that will integrate .rar, .tar, .jar, .cab, .7z, etc. into Windows Explorer to be displayed as regular folders as well.

All I can find integrates the functionality into Windows Explorer right-click menu (which is what my current program, Zip Genius, does).

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. I think that would be a nice thing to have too.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

I am just bringing this message back up to see if anyone else has any input.

If no one knows of a utility that integrates into Windows Explorer, can anyone suggest a utility that integrates into the right click menu and supports a lot of file formats (I like Zip Genius, but I just repaired a computer, so I am open to changing to a program if it is better).

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I have never heard of a compression utility that integrates with Explorer. I use ZipGenius, too, because it's the first one I found that did what I needed. Some people like IZarc and others swear by 7-zip. Are the folks at WinZip still selling software that basically does the same as these freeware app? Just checked and yes they are still charging money.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Well I guess I will be sticking with ZipGenius until someone writes software that integrates into Explorer.

Thank you!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.