How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Instant Messenger Programs freeze my PC

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by vedhead
  • Latest reply from vedhead
  • Topic Viewed 2345 times

vedhead

Hello!

I've been using Trillian and loving it; however, recently, it will open fine, and when it goes to connect to AIM or Yahoo, XP freezes and I have to hold the power button in to restart. It happens everytime. I've downloaded a few other IM clients (including re-installing a fresh download of Trillian) with the same results. I AM able to use web-based clients like meebo. The only program I updated recently was windowblinds (to WB6). I have tried unloading windowblinds and I get the same problem. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help!

Richard

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

I would suspect it has something to do with Windowblinds ... I know you said you uninstalled it but I know that program is shady with the uninstall ... where it will leave remnants of the program behind.

System Restore?

Posted 6 years ago

michael

Also - if that doesn't work, try deleting the remains using CCleaner (http://ccleaner.com)

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@mysticgeek: I don't think the topic OP did uninstall WindowBlinds as "unloading windowblinds" just means closing the WindowBlinds engine. I know as when I've used it the command for closing down the WindowBlinds engine was labeled "Unload WindowBlinds".

Posted 6 years ago

vedhead

True, unload is not uninstalling. So, I tried uninstalling WindowBlinds and ran the CCleaner. Also uninstalled Trillian before running the CCleaner. Freshly installed trillian, same freeze...also tried Pidgin and got the same freeze.

The issue didn't start when I installed windowblinds...

any ideas on how to go about diagnosing the real issue?

thanks again.

Posted 6 years ago

michael

Hmmz. Does this happen if you install and run WLM?

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

vedhead

Yes. Just installed Windows Live Messenger and the icon spun for a few seconds then froze. Man I really dont want to re-install xp...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.