How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

installing XP on a USB HDD

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from DavidPierson
  • Topic Viewed 966 times

nharp0386
nharp0386

After the HDD in my old Gateway desktop (x86) died, I took it out and am trying to install XP on a USB HDD (and boot with it). I ran the XP setup with the CD, and at the screen where I select which partition to install it on, I got the following error message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space you chose. Setup cannot install Windows XP on this hard disk.

This lack of access does not necessarily indicate an error condition. For example, disks attached to a SCSI adapter that wasn't installed by your computer manufacturer or to a secondary hard disk controller, are typically not visible to the startup program unless special software is used. Contact your computer or hard disk controller manufacturer for more information.

On x86-based computers, this message may indicate a problem with the CMOS drive type settings. See your disk controller documentation for more information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do (possibly by changing something in the BIOS/CMOS or using the "special software" mentioned in the second paragraph of the error message)?

Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago

DavidPierson

Hi,
When you say "USB HDD" do you mean -
- an externally attached hard drive, in a caddy, connected via USB? or,
- a "hard drive" actually made from flash memory, that is designed and built to behave just like a hard drive (and has the same connecters etc) but is much faster? These are expensive.

If it is the externally attached hard drive in a caddy, I don't believe you can do what you are trying to do. Just buy a normal drive and install it. It is a five or ten minute job.

Let us know if I have misunderstood!
Regards
Dave

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!