The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Installing xp and computer keeps shutting down

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by crjohnson0954
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 3816 times

crjohnson0954

I'm trying to install the Windows xp over my Vista and I'm at the step where I boot the cdrom up to install it as it starts installing everything is fine but then says windows is starting up and before it does my screen changes and says A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Then it goes on saying restart your computer if it does it again check for viruses. Remove any newly installed hard drives. Then it says check to make sure hard drive is properly configured and terminated and check hard drive for corruption then restart computer. Someone please tell me how to get passed this so i can install windows xp.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

crjohnson0954,

Looks like whs and others may be sleeping.

From your your discussion with him, I would make your new hard drive partition E: and your CD\DVD device something like F: or G:.

Will the machine that you are trying to make a Dual Boot machine still boot into Vista ??

The reason I ask is that I want to know if the Vista partition boot configuration got changed during your unsuccessful attempts to load XP ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

crjohnson0954

I dont understand what you mean when you say still boot into Vista. I'm sorry I'm not much help but I don't know what your talking about.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

crjohnson0954,

From your conversation on the post with whs, I thought you were trying to Dual Boot your machine with a copy of Vista preinstalled on your computer and you also wanted a copy of XP installed so you could use both operating systems.

Are you trying to get rid of Vista and go back to just XP only on your computer ??

If so, do you have a (complete CD copy) of XP Pro or XP Home ??

What is the make and model of your computer ??

I am going to sleep shortly so it will be tomorrow before I can get back to your posting.

It is my fault that I don't understand your intentions because I picked up the conversation when others in Europe went to sleep.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

crjohnson0954

Yes I just want to have Windows xp on my computer and yes I went to circuit city and bought windows xp pro software to install and they tried telling me it would be hard and I should pay them to do it but my husband is cheap and didn't want me to pay that and I thought I could figure it out. So yes I just want xp and my computer is a HP Pavillion a6303w. So when you or someone else gets back on that would be great for some help. THANKS!

Posted 6 years ago

boonhan

raphoenix,

Im having the problem same with crjohnson0954. I'm trying to install the Windows xp on my pre-installed Vista. I had already created a new hard drive partition with 20gb, also i have complete window xp pro cd. When I get done everything.. I boot the cd rom up to install it as it starts loading everything is fine untill when load finish ..it appear instantly to blue screen and it says A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Im using dell desktop dimension e520.

<Im sorry for posting here, tomorrow i will post up>

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Hello boonhan. Please could you put your problem into a New Topic.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

crjohnson0954,

This will be a VERY complicated process.

Here are your product specifications:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....38;lang=en

You will notice the Intel G33 Chipset driver mentioned.

Here is where you download it:

http://www.intel.com/support/c.....026488.htm

You will have to make a SLIPSTREAM CD Disk using your XP Pro software and the Chipset Driver software.

We have HOW TO ARTICLES on this forum.

BEFORE you embark on this very technical procedure, I want you to be sure AND I want to assure myself that you have the knowledge to complete this installation successfully.

You will have to download and install HP device drivers.

You may even have to go to different manufacturer's sites and obtain drivers from them.

Please do not over estimate your technical expertise as I JUST WANT TO BE SURE THAT YOU DON'T END UP INCURRING ADDITIONAL EXPENSE.

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

HP NOR ANY OF THE PRE-MANUFACTURED MACHINE BUILDERS DO (NOT) MAKE IT EASY FOR CUSTOMERS TO WORK ON THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT.

The folks at Circuit City gave you some Good Advice HOWEVER you have (NOT) wasted money buying a Complete Copy of XP Professional because it can be installed on most any machine manufactured as of today.

NOTE: I DO NOT AND THIS FORUM DOES NOT GET INVOLVED IN DOMESTIC AFFAIRS OR PERSONAL ISSUES SO I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU RE-DISCUSS THIS TECHNICAL MATTER WITH ALL CONCERNED.

Post Back,

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

crjohnson0954

Everyone thank you for your help I'm just going to take it somewhere to get it done.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

crjohnson0954,

I think you have made a very wise choice. Best of luck and enjoy your new computer. Come back and visit the HTG Forums often.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.