SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Installing windows7 on cpu running on windows XP from USB.

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ekskiuzmi
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 412 times

ekskiuzmi

Hello guys,

My friend has a computer running on windows XP(its a really old HP model). I have a computer running on Windows 7. The cd-rom on the XP running machine is not working so i've created bootable USB using WinToBootic program. However, when i try to boot windows 7 from that USB on my friend's computer, it says "bootmgr missing" and wouldnt work. Im not all that great at computers, but i need to get this done really badly. Can i get any help?

Thanks in advance.
ekskiuzmi.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Does the USB drive boot on another PC? Make sure you are booting from the USB drive, and not from another device.

Although "bootmgr missing" should indicate that the USB has a problem while booting. You can try to create the bootable USB with the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool provided by Microsoft:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....vd_dwnTool

Instructions here:
http://social.technet.microsof.....-tool.aspx

I think I've used this to install Windows 7 on some very old Pentium 4 HP Desktops some time ago and worked perfectly.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

ekskiuzmi

Thanks for advice. I just did all that. Booting is fine on my laptop running on windows 7, but on the old one (running on xp) it says:
- Invalid boot.ini file
- Boot from C:\windows

At least i think thats what it says, cause the error message shows up only for a split second and then windows xp starts.

Any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

ekskiuzmi

Created a new boot.ini and now it works fine. Thanks a lot!

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I think the boot.ini is for Windows XP, the Windows 7 install USB should not have a boot.ini file, so I think you are not booting from the USB drive. If it's an HP you may need to press F9 or ESC during the HP logo to get to the Boot Menu, and select USB from the list there.

If you already did this, it is a strange behavior, you may need to install from the internal HDD, I will think on how to do that easily.

EDIT: Nevermind...

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!