How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Installing Windows XP w/ pre-existing Vista on HP Laptop

(102 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by nrv1013
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 194982 times

jd2066
jd2066

You probably have two entries in your boot.ini which is used by the Windows XP boot loader.
In VistaBootPro click Tools, Click Legacy Editor, remove the second entry in the notepad Window, save the file and exit notepad.
Note: You should be sure they are exactly the same line as if they are different and you remove the wrong one then you can't boot Windows XP at all.

Posted 6 years ago

jaajavon

i followed the step by step and when i go to start windows XP i DONT get a error i get black screen and i have no clue what i did wrong the vista half still works but i cant start windows cause it just a black screen

Posted 6 years ago

cwalk

&%£$ *&%$ did this topic ever help me. thanx guys, specially you surfer andjd2066!

Posted 6 years ago

Diago

Thanks guys! Awesome & very easy to follow post. Was tryin to create a dual boot (Vista & XP) on my friends laptop & this post really helped LOT! I registered just to give my word of appreciation! Keep up the Awesome work dudes!

Posted 6 years ago

Kuyichi

Hey I am just wondering one thing!?
I have a HP Pavilion dv6570 ed.
Where did you find all your xp drivers?
I mean I only find vista drivers and the xp drivers I DO find are for the quick launch
buttons.

Cause I read that if you format and install xp, you got no disc drive support and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi Kuyichi. Could you start this in a new topic please.

Posted 6 years ago

sephinaopal
sephinaopal

I have a question. Lots of people talk about the boot.ini file and I've been having problems. How do I make VistaBootPro generate a boot.ini file for XP? I even tried making one in dos and it refuses to exist. I made it so I can see hidden system files and it's just not there.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

sephinaopal, please could you start a New Topic with your problem.

Posted 6 years ago

sathish04021984

hi friends,
I hv sony vaio vgn-cr23g laptop preinstalled with vista home premium, now i want 2 install windows xp in my system, i read this topic nd i decided to install windows xp nd by using this information, but i hv a doubt that " Is it possible 2 install in my laptop?", so please can any help me.........My email-.....................plse give me reply about this topic...............nd onemore thing after installing " can i access all the drives(e:,f:) from my windowsxp.....................

edit by mod- no personal email addresses allowed, please start a new thread.

Posted 5 years ago

sathish04021984

hi friends,
I hv sony vaio vgn-cr23g laptop preinstalled with vista home premium, now i want 2 install windows xp in my system, i read this topic nd i decided to install windows xp nd by using this information, but i hv a doubt that " Is it possible 2 install in my laptop?", so please can any help me.........My email-.....................plse give me reply about this topic...............nd onemore thing after installing " can i access all the drives(e:,f:) from my windowsxp....................

Posted 5 years ago

Trinity59

Hi Guys!
I registered here today after finding this site while looking for dual boot possibilities. I could read here for hours! So much Input!!!
I have bought a Dell XPS M1530 with Vista pre-installed and was gathering info on how to resize my 320GB HD so I could get my Ubuntu, XP and Vista on there. But, after reading all this.....well, I'm thinking twice about it now! I would have sooooo many questions (I'm a Vista noob) that I'd possibly crash the server! *lol*.
But I'll keep looking in here and when you guys come up with an "easy" way of getting the task done, I'll be back! *rofl*

Greets, Trinity59

Posted 5 years ago

ekstaze

hi, nrv1013, on start of this topic you wrote: " So I went to the manufacturer's website (Intel) and downloaded the drivers".My question is, can you point me directly to intel drivers that can disable S-ATA? I have troubles searching them on intel site.
btw, i have same problems - just obtained vaio VGN-CR41s, no normal BIOS, no possibility to install xp and i am screwed.

Posted 5 years ago

travixion

hey, i want to do the dual boot install xp on vista machine but when i go to shrink my volume down it lets me open the menu but when i actually put the numbers in it says i only have 0 size available shrink space in MB. i made sure i have enough space. 115 gigs to be exact. anyone have any ideas or help?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

travixion welome to HTG. Please could you post your question in a "New Topic".

Posted 5 years ago

peapen

HELP!!! I have started going through the steps to put XP on my Vista machine and when it rebooted after loading XP all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. What now!!!!

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Hi peapen, welcome to the forum. Could you start a "New Topic" with your problem please :)

Posted 5 years ago

zarenya

I have been battling for almost 5 hours yesterday. A friend purchased an HP Pavilion DV4 laptop with Vista Home pre-installed.
I tried everything in vain to reboot with my XP Disc. It finds the disc, loads setup files for windows but I get an error "unexpected operation, please check your drive for errors etc...."

Apparently the laptop as a drive that was partititioned into C: and D: (D drive has all the vista backup security HP Help tools). I managed to format the C Drive but it boots up with recovery software and just re-initiated the installation process of Vista.

Will it work if I format both drives and allow me to boot from DVD Drive with my XP software? Any ideas and guidance are welcomed at this stage.

Regards

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

zarenya. Could you start a New Topic with that please.

Posted 5 years ago

maggi

Where do I exactly copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com files? There is no file name ROOT on the windows xp folder.
Can anyone help please?
thanks

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

maggi welcome. Could you start a New Topic with that please.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!