How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Installing Windows XP w/ pre-existing Vista on HP Laptop

(102 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by nrv1013
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 194982 times

nrv1013

Cheeno:

Are you trying to find the drivers for your hard drive? You can either get them from the support site for your laptop manufacturer or get them directly from the manufacturer. In my case, I just went to Intel's website. I had to find my chipset but they have a tool to download that will do that. Then I picked my OS and downloaded the driver that specified SATA support. You'll have to look around for other drivers such as audio and graphics. Hopefully they'll be on your laptop support page. If you can't find them, let me know specifically which computer you have and I'll see if I can locate them for you.

Posted 7 years ago

Cheeno

Hi you know i have the same one you got when you first stated this forum I'm looking for those drives for the nilte so i can pass that pesky folpy driver issue please help i don't know where else to look if you need my email let me know? I have to get this going it has been two months trying ;-)

Posted 7 years ago

soleb

Hey,

Ok so i followed all the steps in the guide (dual booting xp with vista pre-installed). The xp installation was successful so it worked when it booted the first time when i only had xp. Then I used Vistabootpro and installed a vista bootloader. I restarted my laptop to check if everything was there. I went on vista to make sure nothing went wrong and restarted again. I selected windows xp and it says:

0xc000000f The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

can anyone help me with this? I was so happy when it first loaded

please help =0

PS: i own a Pavilion dv9205us

Posted 7 years ago

glowinthedarkcar

Thank you skysurfer64!!! In regards to...

"Hey,I did it! Finally, after 4 days (now I see why macs are better..lol). I found the boot.ini file in vista and then copied it to the xp drive, but that didn't work. Then I dld vistabootpro on my vista and went under manage entries and clicked on xp and then changed its drive (because some ppl said that the files where there, but in the wrong drive), and that did it!"

...I was tearing my hair out over my new Dell Inspiron desktop with the same problem as you, and changing the drive for xp in vistabootpro totally fixed it. Now I can use my system and stop staying up late at night crying!

Posted 7 years ago

Cheeno

I still need help with this problem nrv1013 please if you need my email let me know

Posted 7 years ago

jet431

Hi everybody,

Just fell in the same trap, bought a HP dv6570ed, wanted to create a dual boot with XP for work and use the vista as a media center at home.
I followed all the instructions, was succesfull, thanx for all the great guides here.
But now I can't get the network port to work under XP. It works under Vista, but XP does not see my router at home. Pinging says destination host unreachable.....
And another bunch of drivers is still missing, but I haven't inventarized all missing drivers yet, as I thought with updating XP through the internet would solve most of these problems. Any help is much appreciated. I phoned HP support for a driver cd or something but got no help what so ever, just saying I should run the recovery cd and that they do not support any modifications....so much for their help.

Posted 7 years ago

chadcham

I think I need some additional help on this thing.

I have created my partition for XP, I have used nLite to create a new XP install disk with the SATA drivers, however when I try to install XP Professional I still only see the primary partition and even that is identified as 'UNKNOWN' for the file system.

Does anyone have any idea how to get the XP Installation to see the partition I have created or even to see the C: drive as an NTFS drive???

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Chad

Posted 7 years ago

panthar

Hey nrv1013 I have same laptop as you. I had vista on it preinstalled. Now I partitioned my drive from vista create a nother partition D. I dropped the existing partition for recovery, as I had recovery DVD discs with me.

Now I created a XP cd using nLite, I was able to it. I installed XP on D drive. Now I boot my laptop it boots by default onto XP.

ALl is ok. I managed to get hold of quite lot of drivers. Now I installed this vistaBootPro3.3.0 on XP but when I run it I see only VISTA, I dont see any entry for XP ?

Please help. I have repeated the steps atleast 5 times, but I get same results each time. What do I have to do in order to get this dual boot option..

When I chose vista in vistabootpro and reboot, XP booting is lost, I came back to my vista from where I am typing this message ...

please help ''''''''

Posted 6 years ago

Acquiesce

Hi there,

I've tried slipstreaming with nlite the required SATA drivers (downloaded from intel website of the F6flpy32.exe - but i cross-checked the dates of the tutorial and its abit outdated not sure if this is the case of my failure to install XP)

I burn the installation image and tried installing XP but somehow it failed to detect any disk drive on my notebook. (strange thing that i managed to install XP throught virtual PC)

i've checked the configuration setting in the burn new XP installation disc and i found these entries:

[Drivers]
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH5RHR
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH5R
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH6M
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH6R
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH6R
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7R
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\F6flpy32\iaahci.inf,iaStor_ICH7DH

I'm using HP DV6601tx with vista pre installed.

been cracking my head 3 days ago to get this XP dual boot.

Thanking your guys in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

mivid

pls. i want 2 tnk all d grt. guys here.
BUT PLS.PLS.PLS. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A STEP-BY-STEP HOW-2-DO IT, THAT IS HOW TO DISABLE SATA IN MY HP PAVILION DV6000 LAPTOP SO THAT I CAN FIX XP.

THANKS FOR UR ANTICIPATED REPLY.

Posted 6 years ago

kthornhi

I too have slipstreamed SATA drivers from HP and Intel to no avail. XP refuses to see my SATA drives and there is no option in the bios to disable native sata either, it does however offer the option of installing to my usb HDD which I am tempted to use after making 3 nlite xp disks.

My chipset:
Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation
Chipset Model Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM Controller
South Bridge 82801HEM (ICH8M-E) LPC Interface Controller
SMBus Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller @1C00h

Logical Disks
Drive Drive Type Bus Type File System Total Size Used Space Free Space % Free
C:\ (OS) Local Disk ATA NTFS 3.1 141.5 (GB) 48.5 (GB) 92.9 (GB) 66 %
D:\ (DATA) Local Disk ATA NTFS 3.1 149.0 (GB) 43.9 (GB) 105.0 (GB) 70 %
E:\ (HP_RECOVERY) Local Disk ATA NTFS 3.1 7695 (MB) 5367 (MB) 2327 (MB) 30 %
F:\ (071204_2010) DVD ATAPI UDF 4201 (MB) 4201 (MB) 0 (MB) 0 %
G:\ (KINGSTON) Removable Disk USB FAT32 1920 (MB) 178 (MB) 1742 (MB) 91 %
H:\ (LOCAL DISK) Local Disk USB FAT32 233.6 (GB) 129.5 (GB) 104.1 (GB) 45 %

Posted 6 years ago

vistatroubled

Hi Guys,
I have a big problem here.My laptop is a Pre-Installed Windows Vista Compaq Presario C717NR.After buying this I did not created the backup CD's and only by reading this article went for the Dualboot of having XP. I created the other partition fine and disabled the SATA settings and installed windows XP unsuccessfully. Before doing all these steps I did not install either this VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe or dotnetfx.exe (dotnet framework) . As most of you faced the problem I also faced the same problem. When I boot my laptop I lost Vista and for XP it was giving me the error message NTLDR is missing. I copied all the 3 files from c drive ( Vista) to d drive (XP) using the XP recovery Console (boot.ini,ntldr and ntdetect.com) but still no use. I have copied VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe , dotnetfx.exe and SATA drivers in a flash drive but my problem is how to install them as I have only DOS access and on DOS it is not recognizing the USB flash drive.I even tried creating a CD but that also did not help as once I boot from CD I can't change the CD in CD drive.I do not have a floppy drive.
With this horrible experience I don't want XP installed on my laptop I just want my Windows Vista back . How I can achieve that ? Or what is the way to install VistaBootPro when I can't take out the WinXP CD out from CD drive and it does not recognize the USB flash Drive.
Please help, I have an assignment to finish and without having either XP or Vista it is big problem to me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted 6 years ago

gneb

hi! i have the dualboot option for XP and Vista but when i click XP, it just restarts the computer. But the vista, on the other hand, works fine. what should i do? i had copied ntldr and ntdetect.com from the XP cd into laptop's Xp's root folder. I tried to copy also the boot.ini files but can't find it in vista's and xp's folders, and even in xp's cd as well.
pls help me!

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

This may be tedious to read through, but this guy's web site gives an EXCELLENT discussion of the topic:

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/mbr.html

Including the use of BCDedit, ntldr file, locations, ini files, partitioning, SATA drivers etc. VERY pertinent.

BJ

Posted 6 years ago

trailblazr

hi guys

please help me.I hav a Toshiba A200 laptop with Vista Premiumin it.I put XP onto it and did all wat u said.But only my Vista is booting , Whn i go for XP .its giving an error..

The Error is as follows.

FILE:\ntldr
INFO:The selected entry could not be loaded bcoz the application is missing or corrupt.

Please help me guys...

Posted 6 years ago

cleo

Hello all,
I have read and aplied all the article, have installed XP in my laptop HP Compaq 6510b, wich has Vista pre-installed. XP run fine that time.
Then, I downloaded and installed VistaBootPro, and after that nothing runs, it appears the menu when I can select Vista Or XP but it always begins to boot with Vista and it never really boots, it begins to Repair the system and thats all.

I have tried lots of things, repair from Vista DVD, nothing.
Tried with bootsect and bootrec. NOTHING.
Anyone could help me please?? Which way could I repair my laptop because with Vista DVD it is impossible.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

You can try burning a repair disc by following the article at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-have-one/
Then try running Startup Repair.
See the help page at http://windowshelp.microsoft.c.....51033.mspx to do that. Just click the heading "How do I use Startup Repair?" and where it says to use the installation disc use the repair disc made above.

Posted 6 years ago

srini

hi,

i installed a 64 bit xp as my second os. my first os is vista 32 bit. i used vistabootpro to boot to vista.
now i can log into vista but not into xp. i copied the ntdetect.com and ntldr to xp root from vista installation it didnt work. so i copied the files from xp cd even now i am not able to boot to xp. please help

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@srini: Try this:
Run VistaBootPro.
Click the "View Settings" button at the top.
Click the "Detailed" radio button.
Right click on the text box and click Select All.
Right click on the text box and click Copy.
Then paste that in a reply.
I'll look at it and see if anything with the boot configuration looks incorrect.

Posted 6 years ago

eldrizno

nrv1013 & all, thanks for the time you have put in on this info.

I have a dv9700nr and a dv6736nr. Both pre-installed Vista, but I want my XP Pro on both.

I notice that the concentration of these posts and questions involve "dual-booting", what is the procedure for totally wiping out Vista and installing only XP Pro? Will this make the process any easier? Will installing drivers and getting XP running perfectly be less of a hassle? From your experience, what problems should I expect never to be fixed from this "downgrade"?

Your tips/advice would be invaluable as I'm about to tackle this in the next week. Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.