The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Installing Windows XP on a machine that came with Windows 7

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by legaldj1
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 5003 times

legaldj1

If I get a new computer with Windows 7 already on it, format the hard drive, and then install XP, will I have any problems with the installation?

I understand that when Vista came with new machines, the only way you could do this is if you formatted the hard drive, then installed all the necessary chipsets and drivers for the manufacturer of the machine (i.e. HP, Dell drivers) before installing XP, since the machine was made for Vista only.

Is this the same for Windows 7, or should XP install without having to find drivers, chipsets, etc. to allow XP to work on the new machine?

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs

Hi legaldji1, welcome to HTG. Why on earth would you want to install XP on a Windows 7 machine!!? Matt

EDIT: Yes you will have the same problems that came with Vista, if not more!! If you get yourself a 7 license with either Profesional, Ultimate or Enterprise(unlikely) you can download this which will run an xp mode within 7. Matt

Posted 4 years ago

legaldj1

Because I want to stay with XP. I thought you can downgrade from Windows 7 to XP, which means you can change down from Windows 7 to XP, so why couldn't you just wipe the hard drive of Windows 7 and put XP on it?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

It is not a matter of XP or Windows 7. It's that you have bought a new computer with new hardware on it.
If you can't find XP drivers for that new hardware, then XP ain't gonna work on it.

Posted 4 years ago

jmcguire

Just upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or higher and you will have Windows XP as a Virtual Machine.

Best of both worlds.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.