The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Installing windows 7 from an external hard disk, usb

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bodyharvester
  • Latest reply from bodyharvester
  • Topic Viewed 36898 times

bodyharvester

I've finally gotten to the point of being able to install Windows 7 from a USB device after formatting my external hard disk and using command prompt to copy all the files to boot the os from the hard disk.

However when i enter the BIOS and choose my Boot Options to boot from USB it said NTLDR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

I would love to try Windows 7, and i have spent days using my friend optical drive to burn the image onto a disk properly (the first attempt was a failure). I really hope i can get some good news

When i inserted the disk and chose to install in the partition i made in my external hard disk it gave me the following message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

What must i be doing wrong?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

1. Does your PC give you the option in the BIOS to boot from a USB drive?
2. Did you setup the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the USB drive is the first boot device?

Posted 5 years ago

bodyharvester

1. yeah
2. in the boot tab i shifted USB up to first above the rest but i get the same NTLDR is missing message, so back to second it went

ive seen elsewhere people have succeded in installing 7 on external devices so i wont give up until the reg key expires

Posted 5 years ago

bodyharvester

what does the message "NTLDR is missing" mean?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I don't know how you created your bootable USB stick. Here is a website that gives some guidance.
NTLDR is the Boot Loader that apparently somehow did not make it onto your USB stick.

Posted 5 years ago

bodyharvester

thanks, i followed the first few steps to format the disk (a 466Gb hard disk) and make it an NTFS file system and copied the files from the dvd disk with 7 on it into mY USB disk using command prompt

but the bootsect bit confuses me... could you tell me how to do that bit? i thought copying all thhe files would have copied the NTLDR too

i learned command stuff on my desktop...200MHz 32Mb RAM 2Gb diosk space Win98, its ancient

Posted 5 years ago

bodyharvester

by the way, i found exactly the same instructions on http://windows7forums.com but when the bootsect bit didnt help someone else, another had posted instruction how to go on and i followed those

Posted 5 years ago

bodyharvester

thanks for the help, finally figured out the bootsect thing, now just one thing is holding me back...

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.