The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Installing Thunderbird in Win7

(10 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jactentden
  • Latest reply from jactentden
  • Topic Viewed 1719 times

jactentden

My machine has three separate partitions, XP, Win7 and Data and I'm gradually duplicating programs from XP onto Win7. When I try to run Thunderbird in Win7 I get the message that a copy is already running and I must close it first. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing ThBird without success. I've also deleted all Registry references to ThBird before re-installing - to no avail. I would be grateful for any guidance as to the problem. TIA.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Hello and welcome, this is odd as I have been running TB for 5 months on Win7 with no problems, although I do get the still running when I close and reopen in quick succession. That is ok, TB is 'processing' the mail. Try uninstalling with Revouninstaller from in advanced mode and reinstall,
get it HERE

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

jactentden

Thanks for this rapid response Mike. Took your advice, obtained and ran Revouninstaller (advanced mode), reinstalled Th.Bird and still got:-

"Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, or restart your system."

Ugh! I think my next move will be to install ThB in my third (data) partition and see if it runs from there.

John

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

jactentden, install on c, why are you directing to other partitions? this don't make sense at all because TB runs without problems. you won't see any conflicts between o's, that I can assure you

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

jactentden

Sorry for the confusion Mike. My problem comes with the installation of TB on C drive (so named under W7, but this drive is named G under XP which I'm using at the moment!).
Installing TB on a completely different drive from these two was to test whether, when I was working in W7, it would still give the same error message - which it did!

I have now tested opening the instance of TB installed on the W7 drive when working in XP and, surprise surprise, it opens without any error.
I think my next test will be to access & open the TB installation on the XP drive when under W7 and see what happens.

Posted 4 years ago

jactentden

Now working under my W7 part'n. Went to the instance of TB in my XP part'n prog files, tried opening and got same error. Rather frustrating :-((
Thanks for conversation John

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

THIS might help. If you can follow it!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

jactentden

Thanks Mike. This looks as if it's in the right area. I'll have to take some time and check it all through carefully.
One thing I've discovered is that my problem only arises after I've copied the default TB profiles from my XP installation into the W7 one. Thought of looking for advice under this topic i.e. 'copying profiles'.

John

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Excellent, that seems to be the problem, sorry it's such dreary read though!!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

jactentden

Thanks again Mike - downloaded, printed and read (great chunks of it). A bit turgid! Then spent quite a time moving files around, bit scary once or twice but have ended up with TB operating OK under both OSs. In essence it turned out to be a simple matter of ensuring that the 'profiles.ini' files were altered to match the copied default 'profiles' ;-))

John

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!