SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

OSX on non-Apple computer - *Updated* - Apple's Opinion on Marketing "Mac Clone"

(20 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from danmdan
  • Topic Viewed 8736 times

jmcguire

I have read that motherboards that allows "vanilla installs" will work to install Mac OSX. Afterward you simply have to make a couple changes to the bios. Is this true, and if so how can one tell if the motherboard will allow "vanilla installs." After installing OSX, what changes to the bios need to be made?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

The best guide I've seen around is Lifehacker's guide: http://lifehacker.com/348653/i.....g-required

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@the geek or whoever knows: i'm wondering if this is legal or not because the only way you are supposed to get the mac osx is buying a mac so how can it be legal to install of something that is not a mac. i'm just wondering as i kinda wanted to try it out but wanted to know if i should worry or not.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Jack, it's a violation of Apple's Software License Agreement. Not for nothing do they call it a Hackintosh. I expect that this thread will be closed since it's against the rules to discuss how to do this on this forum.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

@ScottW:

That's why I sent him over to Lifehacker instead of discussing here =)

This is one particular instance where Apple's position on the issue is idiotic. I don't think it's actually technically illegal to install it on another computer, as long as you aren't selling clone machines with it pre-installed, and you have to legally buy a copy of OS X so there's no stealing involved. This isn't much different than patching your OS to run custom themes or running MS software under Linux through Wine.

Advocating piracy is something we definitely don't do. If you want OS X, buy it. I'd recommend installing Linux and using one of the many OS X themes.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire

That is an odd policy. I guess I won't be using OSX for a long while.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

We can't discuss the how-to here, but we can discuss the legality. I didn't say that it was a good policy, nor that it's illegal. I said it's a violation of the License which can be read in this PDF document:
http://images.apple.com/legal/.....osx105.pdf

To quote: "You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so."
And regarding legal jurisdiction: "This License will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, as applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California between California residents."

I'm no lawyer, so I don't know how the law affects those who violate an agreement between California residents. However, anyone attempting this should be aware of the terms (and now they are). I was curious about the use of Windows under Wine. According to Wikipedia, Microsoft has not declared it illegal or cracked down on Wine users. They just try to prevent WGA and Windows Updates from working:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.....t_and_Wine

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire

That is interesting. I don't picture Microsoft declaring running Windows under Wine illegal, just restricting features as they currently do.
I also don't picture Apple changing their License anytime soon.

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64

so i am in south africa, would those apple laws still apply to me?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Snugglez,

If Apple is like everyone else, the license in South Africa will have a different legal jurisdiction. Oh, and it's a license, not a law ;-)

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64

oh ryt ok, and it's south africa, not South Africa. im thinkin of turing my old vaio into a hackintosh, lol! jus 4 kicks...

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i thought about doing this when i seen stefan's article on his site but was wondering if it would actually be legal to download and install but now i know thx scott for the actual agreement :)

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire

Apparently Apple does have a problem with it. Although I think the problem is the marketing of it, not the performing of it.

http://news.justia.com/cases/f.....51/204881/

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

This is the last I've heard of this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10026033-37.html

The problem is enforcing the EULA when you have already purchased a licensed product. We'll see what happens.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i have been reading a bit on this lately and it seems as though if you buy the OS and install on your hardware it is legal as long as you have some apple logo on it. like if you put a apple sticker on your case or something like that

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Jack,
Since I don't have a case but just run all my H/W laying out on the floor, will a Bumper Sticker or Body Tattoo count in meeting the Eula requirements ????

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

maybe lol maybe since your house is more like your case you just stick one one your front door LOOL :D

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Jack,

Whew !
Thanks !
That takes a load off my mind.
Was thinking about putting out yard signs (you know like those campaign signs you saw during our past election) but believe your front door solution is much better.
Will buy some plywood and paint first thing in the morning.
By far, violation of Eula's is the most serious issue facing mankind.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:) :) :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

yes it is :D haha

Posted 6 years ago

danmdan

It is possible that many EULAs could be found to be un-enforceable if they were ever to be subject to Court action.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.