The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - installing office 2007 upgrade

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by villaverla
  • Latest reply from villaverla
  • Topic Viewed 14582 times

villaverla

I am about to install our office 2007 upgrade on my daughter's brand new laptop. I've done it before, but can't remember for sure what files I need to have on the laptop before it will let me do the upgrade (since we don't have the original software anymore). I think it is just excel.exe and winword.exe, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone know?

Posted 5 years ago

mysticgeek

For an upgrade I believe any 2003 program will do. If you have the 2007 disc you might just want to completely uninstall whatever Office stuff is currently on there and go with a clean install. You won't lose any of your current files.

Posted 5 years ago

villaverla

The laptop doesn't have Office on it at all. We are installing it fresh on a brand new laptop. It's just that this is UPGRADE software, and I'm assuming it won't let me install it if there's nothing to upgrade from.
But, maybe it doesn't matter?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

villaverla,

If there are NO previous versions of earlier software on the machine and you do not have CD copies of previous older versions of the software, then you bought the wrong version of the 2007 software.

If you haven't opened the software, I would suggest you take it back to the store and obtain the correct version of the MS software you need.

If you have opened the software, the only thing you can do is try to install what you have.

This is why I always suggest members purchase (Full Complete CD/DVD Copies) of MS Software even though their machines may come with pre-installed software.

It is too bad that these double purchases are required.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

villaverla

I already have the office 2007 upgrade software for my own laptop. Now I want to install it on my daughter's brand new laptop. They say you can put it on up to 3 computers in your home. She has Microsoft Works on the laptop, and I want to put Office 2007 on it.

Posted 5 years ago

davehc

The upgrade will work on Microsoft Works 6.0-10. It states it in the literature.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Works and Office 2007 are 2 pairs of shoes. They are not really related. If you have e.g. an Office 2007 Home and Student, you need nothing else to install this (provided you have the product key). I am really not sure what "Upgrade Software" means - could mean a lot of things. I would just throw it in and see what happens - what can you loose.

Posted 5 years ago

villaverla

We have 2 laptops (my husband and myself) and an old desktop. We upgraded our laptops last year from Office 2000 to 2007. The desktop is too old to be upgraded, so it kept the old software.
Now we got our daughter a new laptop. I know I can put office on up to 3 computers in our house.
We have bought the upgrade version each time instead of the "new" software package (from Office 97, to 2000, to 2007).
I am trying to not have to install all the old versions of Office .
Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and go out and buy her new software, but I am trying to not have to do that.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

The upgrade requirements can be found here http://office.microsoft.com/en.....11033.aspx if you do not have a qualifying software product installed on the machine, then you will not be able to install the upgrade.

Posted 5 years ago

villaverla

Thanks ... I looked and it says Works version 6 - 10 is a qualifying product. Her laptop came with Works 9.0, so that is supposed to qualify.

Posted 5 years ago

villaverla

I got it. It let me upgrade from Works to 2000, then from 2000 to 2007. All set. We are up and running.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!