How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Installed Windows 7 (dual-boot) on computer with Vista pre-installed

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by asy1mpo
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1162 times

asy1mpo

Hi

I have a Dell laptop which has Vista pre-installed on it. C drive has vista on it plus all my files, D drive is the recovery drive with the image of Vista. (Drive E is the DVD drive).

I have a copy of Windows 7 (the beta trial that everyone downloaded a month or so ago). I have installed it on Virtual PC but for some reason its really slow (jumpy). How would I install Windows 7 and get it dual-booting. I have found on the How to geek seek on how to install XP (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/install-windows-xp-on-your-pre-installed-windows-vista-computer/) - would it be the same??

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

If you are a geek, you can try dual boot. But there are a lot of details that can go wrong. I run W7 in Virtual Box and it runs extremely smoothly. In fact it is faster in VB than my Vista on the real machine. I recommend you checkout my tutorial. Maybe you made a wrong setting (especially for RAM). I gave it 1.5GB which is half of my 3GBs. For the host system, you have to give it a little while for superfetch to rearrange it's real estate.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!