SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Installed new hard rive (Dell XPS 15) and getting this message: PXE-E61: Media T

(8 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by colb
  • Latest reply from mitilini
  • Topic Viewed 1412 times

colb

So,
Hi

I installed a new hard drive on my Dell XPS 15. I'm trying to install windows, but when I boot up I get this message:

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable.

Would appreciate any advice on how I can redress this problem so I can install windows 7 (from a flash drive)

Thanks in advance

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

It did not find any bootable media, so its trying to boot from the network hence the message. You should either go to BIOS setup (pressing I think F2 when the Dell logo appears during boot up), and change the boot order to boot from the flash drive or hitting F12 at boot upand choose to boot from the flash drive.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

I would certainly take the new drive out and then reinsert, ensuring a very good and tight connection. If a screw(s) is needed to properly secure.
That is the normal report for a drive needing a reinsert.

Also, if you are installing from USB make sure USB is the first choice after doing the above.

Posted 2 years ago

colb

Thanks for the answers.

I have done both of these things on a number of occassions and I'm still receiving the same error.

I ran a diagnostics on the new hard drive and everything passed fine.

Any other advice / BIOS options I could try?

Thanks in advance

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Any particular reason why you are installing windows from USB and not DVD drive?

In the bios is the new drive showing, as is DVD and USB boot options?

Posted 2 years ago

colb

Any particular reason why you are installing windows from USB and not DVD drive?

It's the only access I have to install an english vesion of windows where I'm at (middle of Korea)

In the bios is the new drive showing, as is DVD and USB boot options?

Yes those options are showing, and when I prioritze USB or keep that at the top of the list and disable all other boot options, it still won't install windows.

The usb flash is bootable and the windows version is fine - been used successfully before.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help so far.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Why not just burn to disc and boot from that if you're having problems with USB ?

Posted 2 years ago

mitilini

What i would try is, reseating cable connections

then check that the hard drive,is listed ahead of any PXE ( Network boot)

İf still no joy,reseting the BIOS to default,may do it.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.