The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Installed a new hard drive

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by arthew
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 1611 times

arthew

I am running Windows XP on shop built PC. I installed a Western Digital 500 GB SATA hard drive and used the included Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools thinking that this would make my life simple and very easy. This program was to format the new disk, assign it as the new boot disk and was to move everything from “old C” to the “new C.” When I set up the partition on the new disk, I created two logical drives one 400 GB and the other approximately 100 GB. The file copy was very slow so it ran all night. I dreamed happy thoughts of how Western Digital had made my computer life so carefree and easy.
The next morning the computer had rebooted.
I found that my old drive was still C.
The new drive was E. (The CD drive remained D.)
The 100 GB partition of the new drive does not show up.
Everything did copy. I have a copy of “old C” still on C and also on E.
What went wrong?
How do I now get the new drive designated as C, the boot drive?
What happened to the remaining 100 GB drive that would have been F?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

arthew,

Welcome to The HTG Forums.
Can't just copy a boot drive to make another boot drive.
Make a partition image of the old drive and put it on a partition on the new drive.
The partitions do not have to be the same size.
They just have to be large enough to hold all the data (Not True if multi-booting).

The new drive partition should be a Primary Partition and also ensure it is Active.
Suggest using old Ghost PE if you have a floppy drive.
Also make the CD drive letter something like G: before doing an image.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

What the Lifeguared tools probably did was delete the existing partitions on the new drive and copy the one partition from the old drive to it and extend the copied partition to use the whole the new drive.
Also the first drive in the system will be the one the computer boots from so to get it to boot from the new drive you need to switch which SATA cables are plugged into each hard drive.
This is what happened when I got a new Maxtor drive a few years so I would guess it is the same type of deal.

Edit: @raphoenix: Actully with the Lifeguard software that comes with the drive you should be able to do a copy just like ghost would. I know this as I used an older version of Maxor tools and was able to copy to the new drive and after switching the drive cables the computer booted from the new hard drive.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jd2066,

Thanks for the correction.
MY "BAD" :( :(
I don't use Maxtors so didn't know they have software utilities to handle the issue.
Will try to remember the Good Tip.
Forgot about switching the Drive Cables Around also.
Trying to do too many things at once tonight and getting nothing done (LOL)(LOL)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@raphoenix: Ok. I also have a correction. I just reread the first post and found the drive is a Western Digital not Maxtor. I would guess the software works the same though.

Edit: I just looked and the software can do that. The instructions are here I think.
There are also instructions at here on coping the drive but it says it doesn't make it bootable so depending on which the original poster did could affect the bootability of it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jd2066,

Yep I agree. Looks like we are both having a tough time tonight (LOL) (LOL).
I am trying half way to get a laptop going, watching the TV debate and attempting to post at the same time.
This Laptop for a friend ain't going to run so that's one thing out of way. The HD's is boke.
Maybe the TV debate will end soon and can concentrate again (LOL) (LOL).
Kindest Regards,

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!