• Latest reply from drifta
  • Topic Viewed 4685 times

whs
whs

LH, as usual, you talk in riddles.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

True. Sorry whs, that was pointed at Rick.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH,
Yes that is what I'm asking ????
I do not understand HOW a FIRST install into a VM machine can work because the Win7 installer MSI files cannot see all the actual HW which exist on the physical machine SO some things on the physical machine should (not) work in theory.
-------------------------------
An Install always goes through a "Detecting Hardware" phase and in a VM, the installer cannot do this on a First Install.
-------------------------------
I may be entirely wrong as I am just using my "seat of the pants" knowledge of computing from past years. :) :)
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

whs, great to see that you finally have win 7 running.
if you want me to scan the document on the exact steps to set up a vm in virtualbox let me know.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

whs, did u manage to get the USB working? im interested in this because if you manged to get the USB working in win7 than i may be able to do the same thing as u and get xp running in a VM and use my old mp3 player from home.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I got W7 on the USB and can boot from there into the PC, but it does not work with VPC - who knows why. Theoretically one should be able to boot from the USB or the ISO folder, but none of that works with xVM. Only the CD works.
I would not think that there is any problem to get XP running in a VPC partition provided you have an ISO on DVD. I fail to see, however, the connection to the mp3 player.
BTW: the same should work with VirtualBox. I just could not get it running because I had a corrupted installation - as I found out later.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

i do have an iso of xp pro sp2 as a iso on my hdd and if necessary can burn it to a dvd.
as mentioned earlier, (ages ago) i have a mp3 player that requires special software for me to transfer files to and from it. inorder to do this i need to install a program called samsung music studio however everytime during installation, at the end i get an error message. this can be found in a previous thread http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=3

i have attempted running xp in virtualbox and everything went well, however i could not get xp to detect my usb drives. which is absolutley necessary. i have ben using the public library to do this but it gets annyoing and so i figured if you made the usb feature work then i could try out this new VM

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Ya, the USBs are one of the problems with both MSvPC and VirtualBox. But InDiSent was posting good news about VMware on the other thread. I asked him where we can get a free version. I would try that too.

Posted 5 years ago

drifta
drifta

yeah VMware looks promising based on his knowledge and experience with it. might be "THE ONE" ;)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!