I found these instructions for a different Brother model and I amended them to suit the HL 2240. I hope it will help other newbies. My strongest advice is to be very aware of letter case when typing into Terminal.

Step 1:
Open Terminal by selecting Applications ---- Terminal from the task bar. (Or Ctrl-Alt-T)

Step 2:
Type or Copy & Paste the following into Terminal and press enter:

sudo apt-get install tcsh

Step 3:
Download the LPR Driver and CUPS Wrapper. Locate your model & download your "Debian" (The deb format) LPR printer driver from HERE:

http://welcome.solutions.broth.....d_prn.html

Locate your model & download your "Debian" (Again, The deb format) CUPS wrapper from the same page.

Step 4:
Now change to the directory to which the drivers were downloaded. Presuming you downloaded the driver to your desktop Type or Copy & Paste the following into Terminal:

cd Desktop (In my case cd Downloads)

Step 5:
Create the lpd directory. This is the first I have encountered this but in Hardy the directory had to be created. Skip this and move on to Step 7 if you're using Gutsy or below. In terminal Type or Copy & Paste the following command:

sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd

Step 6:
Install the LPR Driver. In terminal Type or Copy & Paste the following command:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all hl2240lpr-2.1.0-1.i386.deb

Step 7:
Create the model directory. As with the lpd directory this is the first I have encountered this but in Hardy the directory had to be created. Skip this and move on to Step 9 if you're using Gutsy or below. In terminal Type or Copy & Paste the following command:

sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

If you get error message: mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/share/cups/model': File exists

This is OK. Go on to step 8.

Step 8: (This is the part that drove me crazy. The original instructions had a driver for another printer model that I had to delete, and then type in my printer driver file name. After the lpr file went so smoothly, I couldn't see why the cupswrapper file wasn't found. Then it finally dawned on me. The model number of my saved file was in caps HL2240. After I entered that into terminal, all was well again.)

Now install the CUPS wrapper driver. In terminal Type or Copy & Paste the following command:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperHL2240-2.0.4-2.i386.deb

Step 9: From the task bar go to: System ---- Administration ---- Printing, select your printer and click Print Test Page.

Or from Unity, click on dash; type printers; click on printers icon. The HL 2240 should be there. Click on the printer, and click print test page. That's It.

Good Luck,
Gary

Posted 2 years ago