The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Install XP Without PS/2 Keyboard or Mouse

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Jafo
  • Latest reply from Jafo
  • Topic Viewed 2265 times

Jafo

I have an old Dell Optiplex GX280 that I need to install Windows XP on. The problem is that this computer only has USB ports and no PS/2 ports. It's been so long, I can't remember how or find any instructions on how to do the install and have XP recognize the mouse and keyboard during the installation process.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

I've installed XP on numerous Dell Optiplex GX280's and it recognizes most USB keyboards and Mice, if the mouse doesn't work during install just use the TAB key to highlight the various options. Keyboard should work fine though

Ged

Posted 1 year ago

Jafo

Both mouse and keyboard don't work. I've tried several different keyboard and mice to see if they would work but no luck so far.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Does the keyboard work in the BIOS? Can you change settings in the BIOS with the Keyboard?

Posted 1 year ago

Jafo

yes, the keyboard works in the bios and at the point of selecting the options for installing XP. After the computer reboots to show the progress and where you have the option to select next, the keyboard and mouse do not work.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Have you tried different USB ports, including the ones at the front?

Just found this

This happens on my system when I disable "Legacy USB" in the BIOS. If your BIOS has this setting make sure it is enabled

Maybe worth checking

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Jim, that will create the same problem I'm afraid. It's all down to the USB settings in the BIOS.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

Yes, I see what you mean, LH.

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

Jafo

There are no USB Legacy options in the bios. USB is however enabled.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

"After the computer reboots to show the progress and where you have the option to select next, the keyboard and mouse do not work." At this point, try unplugging the keyboard and mouse and then re-plugging them back.

Posted 1 year ago

Jafo

Since I couldn't get it to work, I'm creating an image on another computer to load onto this one.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

That may or may not work since the other computer may install different drivers than the one you finally intend to use.

Posted 1 year ago

Jafo

Done.

Yes, it works.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.