The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Install Windows XP on pre-existing Vista computer

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Geodot1
  • Latest reply from nrv1013
  • Topic Viewed 2236 times

Geodot1

In your topic titled "Install windows XP on your pre-installed Windows Vista computer" you mention downloading and installing VistaBootpro. I want to know if I can use EasyBCD instead of that and if I can are the instructions to install Windows XP on my pre-installed Vista laptop any different than you have written in the article.
Thanks, George

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

You should be able to use EasyBCD just fine... obviously the instructions for easybcd will be different, but the rest should be fine.

Posted 6 years ago

Geodot1

I am following instructions on how to install Windows XP on a Vista system and when I get to the part to make a New Simple Volume on the new partition, my computer says that there is not enough room on the disk to complete. My new partition F:\ has 40.7gigs on it but yet it says not enough room on disk to complete the New Simple Volume wiZard. Am I doing something wrong. I really need to get XP on my computer NOW. Thanks for your help. George

Posted 6 years ago

Geodot1

please someone tell me where I can find the files ntldr and ntdetect.com,because they are not in my Vista root,XP root or in the i386 folder on my XP Pro install disc from Dell and i guess that without these,i wont be able to dual boot Thanx Geo

Posted 6 years ago

nrv1013

Did you enable viewing hidden system files?

In Vista, go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View, then select 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' and unselect 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.