How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Install Windows Vista - The Easy Way

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Michael
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 4077 times

michael
michael

I was searching the Internet, and found a way to install Windows Vista in 5 to 10 minutes (20 to 25 for Ultimate).

Acquire an ultra-fast USB 2.0 flash drive

The drive I and my coworkers recommend is the Apacer 4GB Handy Steno USB Flash Drive HT203, 200X Hi-Speed USB 2.0. It's the fastest USB 2.0 Flash Drive that we've found - it has a read speed of 25MBytes/sec. & a write speed-14MBytes/sec and also works great as a ReadyBoost cache. You can get them from $56.99 each:
http://www.directron.com/ht2034g.html

Format the Apacer Flash Drive

Run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is addressed as "disk 1". you should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second drive using this command.

diskpart
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32
assign
exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive
Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Please note that USB Drive must be bootable as well.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Sounds promising, but what os to use on the usb drive?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

I don't think you follow :P What I mean is, it installs the OS directly to the HDD. If you were asking if there any OS's which we can use, then yes. You can installing Ubuntu Linux to a Hi-Speed 2.0GB USB Pen Drive.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Ok. Correct me if i'm wrong. My understanding is, with vista on the usb-drive-with-an-os, I will be able to boot from it, and install vista to my harddisk with much better speed than from the dvd rom. Right?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Exactly. Installing from a High-Speed Bootable drive is very fast.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

How long does it take you to install via DVD? I think the last format was around 20-25 minutes (w/o updates)here. Much faster compared to XP.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

For me it was roughly the same time. With my USB it was bumped to 5 minutes.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

OK, thanks for this thread.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!