The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Install Windows 7 x64 from USB Drive

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by thebetaguy
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 13619 times

thebetaguy

I am currently running Windows 7 (Build 7201, 32-bit). I wish to perform a fresh install of Windows 7 RTM (64 bit) using an USB drive. Can anybody guide me?

(I hope the answer to my query would prove to be useful to a lot of users.)

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

thebetaguy, hello. This has been discussed before on this forum, but is worth revisiting. Instructions on how to install Windows 7 from a USB can be found in this article at Microsoft TechNet. You can also read the previous thread which includes a link to a blog posting with similar instructions.

If you try this process, we would love to hear how it works for you.

Posted 4 years ago

thebetaguy

Thanks for the reply, ScottW.

I already tried that. The issue is that this method does not seem to work for 64-bit edition of Windows 7.

(To make the flash drive bootable, I need to run the bootsect utility. And it seems that you cannot run the 64-bit version of bootsect from inside a 32-bit host OS.)

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

There is no mention of needing to run bootsect in the TechNet article. Do those instructions not work?

Posted 4 years ago

thebetaguy

No. They do not work.

The bootsect step is usually needed in case of most USB drives.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

OK, I just tried it here and the instructions from the TechNet article work perfectly with no changes required. There is no need to run bootsect.

I used a 4 GB USB flash drive, ran the diskpart commands as shown, then copied the contents of the Windows 7 Ultimate RTM x64 DVD to the flash drive. I restarted, pressed F12 for the boot menu on my system (Acer), and chose the flash drive from the menu. It booted the pre-install environment, I chose "Repair your computer", selected my Windows 7 install from the recovery options and launched the command prompt. It works!

Dennis Chung, author of the TechNet article, answers this very question here in the TechNet forum. The question is asked by poster Steve456 and is answered on the second page. There is one exception that Dennis notes when the USB is used as "permanent".

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!